onion sets

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

onion sets
« on: January 22, 2019, 17:22 »
 bought my onion sets the other day bought 4 varieties I've never grew before centurion Stuttgart  red piruska  and sturon always bought turbo they where a good cropper has anyone been growing these varieties  and how do you rate them

Paul Plots

Re: onion sets
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 00:49 »
I think Stuttgart is fairly common - I've grown Stuttgart from sets many times before. Results are good in the right soil in the right weather but that goes for almost everything doesn't it.

Red Baron (?) - had some good reds but inclined to go to seed so perhaps buying heat-treated sets is the way to go although they can be more expensive.]
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:57 »
I'm growing stuttgarter Stanfield which is probably the same variety, red baron and Santero. The electric (red) were planted last Sept and seem to be doing ok.

My neighbour says he's started all his onions off in pots in the greenhouse and will plant out once established as it gives them some protection against white rot, which is a new one on me. Hope my plot doesn't have it...

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 13:12 »
Hi. I have grown Sturon regularly with good results. Mine are in a raised bed and it is important to keep them watered in a hot dry spell but otherwise they are very reliable. They keep well. I am still eating last year's crop of them and probably have enough to get through to April with them.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 13:40 »
I get Sturon which I plant in my raised bed. They have a good taste and last well after harvesting. I only water them when there's a dry spell because my soil is quite water retentive and I don't want to encourage rot.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

madcat

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 14:29 »
Sturon are my go to brown onion.  Then I'll probably do turbo to go with them, but if the stuttgarter sets look better ... I could change my mind.  Must remember to collect from Wilcos when in town tomorrow!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 20:39 »

Hi!

I grow quite a lot usually, just Turbo and Sturon, as I find that Stuttgarter Giant does not keep for long, as for the Red sets I find that most go to seed and that especially goes for the heat treated ones from Marshalls and also it costs about a fiver for carriage on top!

Ps the reason I grow so many as I sell them at The WI stall and also local garden shows!
STOP, and smell the roses!

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 17:18 »
I take you point JimB  on the red sets  I usually grow red Barron and had very few going to seed  but the nursery changed the red variety from red Barron to Piroska red variety I've not grew this variety before and there seems to be no comment from other gardeners on this variety so it looks like try it and see  :unsure:

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion Sets

Started by TheRowebot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2024, 16:28
by rowlandwells
xx
onion sets??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 17:48
by johnny5
xx
Onion sets

Started by ferret1988 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 12:07
by ferret1988

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 39 queries.