Irrigation

• 5 Replies

Basil Fawlty

Irrigation
« on: May 02, 2006, 15:29 »
Hi Everybody

Does anyone have any experience with micro irrigation systems.  I see there are lots available on Ebay but don't know if they are worth trying.

I have a greenhouse and 4 veggie beds but I don't know what will grow yet.  Worst part is having lots of ideas and forgeting to write down what I've done.  I also forget to label what Ive planted.

I now have hundreds of small plants in pots in the greenhouse waiting to be identied and planted out somewhere else.

I do have ten strawberry plants looking very healthy at present.  Should I do anything the protect the fruit?  Any help gratefully received.
I may not know what I'm doing but I might as well do something and see what happens.

Rural Living

• http://www.conwy-valley.org.uk
Irrigation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 23:09 »
Hi

I put straw around the base of the strawberry plant to stop the ground gritters eating the fruit, and netting over the plants to stop the birds eating the fruit. The netting needs to be well off the plants otherwise the birds will still get them.

I can understand your problem with the not knowing what is in your seed trays. Last year I labeled all my trays, but forgot to use a water resistent ink pen. Result lots of white labels with no writing. Enjoy your season

John

Gwiz

Irrigation
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 13:11 »
some time ago i used to sell the gardena micro irrigation system. i thought that it was about the pick of the bunch. since then i believe that hozelock have brought out a system that is just as good. if it was me buying it, i would still go for the gardena system just because of the range of bits in it.
i think you can buy a set of metal letter punches from screwfix, add these to those copper plant labels and there is a permanent solution to the plant identity problem! :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Irrigation
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 13:17 »
I bought some kit off ebay and discovered it at half the price in Wilkinsons, Worth checking out, I think.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Basil Fawlty

Irrigation
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 09:23 »
Thanks for the tips everybody.  I wish I could be as organised as you lot seem to be.

Might pop into Wilkinsons when next in town and see what they have.

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
Irrigation
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 12:38 »
Will micro systems work from a water butt or do they need mains pressure? I see mixed views on eBay.

Thanks

Ian
Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

xx
Irrigation

Started by Ross on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 15:04
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Irrigation Set

Started by ouessant on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 17:08
by mumofstig
xx
greenhouse irrigation

Started by frothy on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 07:59
by Ice
xx
Irrigation Systems

Started by JimG on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 15:35
by JimG

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 35 queries.