Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

• 8 Replies

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« on: August 31, 2006, 18:19 »
I've had my allotment for six whole months now, and am looking to expand my empire  :lol: Especially as all my tomatoes (Alicante) are still green, and there's a limit to how much green tomato chutney I can eat in a year!

I have a space where I can plonk an 8x6 (possible a 10x6) something, but as I've had no experience with indoor growing before, I don't know whether a greenhouse or polytunnel would be better.  I'd like to grow tomatoes, peppers, chilli, aubergines and maybe melons and cucumbers, as well as starting off seeds a bit earlier than I could otherwise.  There's no electric supply, and as always, money (or lack of) is an issue.  There's a lane alongside the plot, but on the opposite side, and the gable end of whatever I get will be south facing.

I also have a three year old lad, so a greenhouse would be a polycarb jobbie, as glass would be just too risky.  Would a polytunnel this small be too much grief?  I've seen ads in Grow Your Own this month for small ones, but don't know enough about them.  Or would it be possible to make one myself and then get the polythene covering?  I could make it fit the space exactly, then....  I gather ventilation can be an issue with them?

Any thoughts?

Mel

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 22:43 »
Hi Mel,

It may be just my tired old eyes, but the pink writing is a real pain...sorry!

It's probably horses for courses, I wanted a poly, simply because of the area it would cover for the price...and I finished up with a top quality greenhouse for 100GBP, It was advertised in a local paper and I had to take it down...but the same GH is over 1500GBP new so I'm well chuffed..had it for 3 years now.

I would still like a poly but with one of those some sort of self watering system would be a must, cause I can kill a lot of time watering my GH and its only about 12 by 8 approx.

:)
Best Regards,

spud

noshed

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 23:40 »
I'm a bit old for pink too.

I've been pondering the same question - you can get cheap greenhouses secondhand (not that I've got one yet). People have polytunnels on our site but they seem to get tatty quite soon.
I'm going to build a greenhouse out of junk - my plans involve spending about £50 so if it works I'll put up some pics.
Let everyone you know you're looking for a greenhouse - you may be lucky.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:10 »
I'd go for a greenhouse in your situation - look in the allotment shop for info - although if you buy one I get a commission :)

Hope you don't mind, I edited your post colour - I thought it was just me having trouble reading the violet until I saw the other posts - even my new specs were having problems.   :shock:
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

ytyynycefn

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 11:53 »
Aaahhhh, I've be de-purpled ;-)  No probs, I'll stick to matt black in future.

I did have a look in the shop, but am looking for something considerably cheaper (or freer!)...  Although a purple powder coated ally one caught my eye  :lol:

Mel

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 16:19 »
Have you tried freecycle too Mel???

ytyynycefn

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 18:23 »
Yup, I've joined our local one, but there's already several requests for sheds and greenhouses, so I've not put one up yet.  I'm keeping a beady eye on ebay (of course!), and in the local free ads, as well as putting the word out to everyone I know that I'm on the hunt.  I travel from the Rhondda to London every other week, taking my son to see his dad, which opens up the number of ebay oppurtunities, as I can collect from anywhere along the M4 corridor, basically.  Failing that, I can always ask for contributions for Christmas!  Annoyingly, my father-out-law was giving away two lovely ones last Christmas, when he emigrated to Spain, but we had no idea we'd be allocated a plot so quickly, and had nowhere to store one  :cry:

Hey ho, I'm sure something will come along, it usually does!

Mel

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 23:38 »
I always believe in the old saying, it if twas meant to be, twill be!!!!  There's one out there waiting for you somewhere!!!!

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 19:17 »
:shock: hi i have just got a poly this year and its great and copes with all weather but if you get one in costs at least £300 :o  so try getting second had frame and the new cover will be about £70 and should last about 5year with anti hot spot tape on the frame  :)  justwatch out every thing grow quick including the weeds
 big green bloke
remember plants can't read books

xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse ?

Started by Mega on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 19:05
by Goldfinger
xx
Greenhouse or polytunnel?

Started by brownp on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:30
by Goosegirl
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by wildgarlic on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post November 29, 2007, 09:47
by gobs
question
Polytunnel or Greenhouse?

Started by stompy on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 20:27
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.