Gooseberries, red/black currants, rhubarb

• 10 Replies

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:33 »
I went to the allotment on Sat only to find all my above fruit bush leaves had gone brown and died off.  The rhubarb is similar but not quite as dead looking yet.  My question is as they were only planted up the allotment last month and it is a very windy site do they need protecting from the wind which I am guessing is the cause of their death.  If they need protecting what should I use?  Also will they sprout new leaves or are they really dead for good.  I was really upset and now wondering if its worth planting anything else there as I have strawberries and pea plants to go in but worried I will lose them too.

Please help a very sad new allotment holder. :(
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

gobs

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:26 »
Their leaves died off in the cold, that doesn't mean the plants are dead. They don't need protecting, probably the very reason for this that they have been kept somewhere warmer before planting than outdoor conditions (in storage, transport, at your place or all of those). That's probably the  reason they were in leaf in the first place, since most of them at your location would not be naturally even now as yet.

The buds on the fruit bushes form the previous year, but you probably will get some growth later on.

Should recover for next season.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:35 »
Thanks gobs but what I can't understand is the gooseberry bushes were planted in pots at my house before I took them up the allotment as I bought them early before we actually got the allotment if you see what I mean.  They had been out in the frost and cold for quite awhile hence the reason I put it down to the wind.  I have yet to go up the allotment when it isn't blowing a ten force gale it is terrible all the allotment holders are complaing about it.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:53 »
Winds hinder plant growth to a large extent, also create chill factor, I'd think, the local micro-climate nearby your house would be more favourable, also we just had quite a cold spell, which often catches out early starters even if outside all winter, apricot and peach blossom commonly is victim to spring frosts, as light levels are the stronger trigger for growth start than temperatures.

But your things should be tougher guys than these. Also the strawberries should be out, would harden the peas off, before planting.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:57 »
Has anyone been spraying weed killer nearby? That could be the cause.
Paul

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 13:28 »
Peas and strawberries are in the mini greenhouse at the moment should I put them outside a bit?

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 14:40 »
Do you live near the sea, could it be salt that has caused the problem? Look at any windows on sheds at the allotment to see if they are covered in salt.  What do your neighbours plants look like?  I guess that you may have to just wait for a few weeks and see what happens.  My gut feeling is that they will be OK but it is strange that the leaves of all your fruit has died off and therefore weed killer could be the reason.  Not very helpful, sorry. :cry:

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 16:16 »
I immediately thought of weed killer spray drift as well. Happened to a friend of mine who couldn't figure out what suddenly happened to the plants. Then found that the farmer next door had been Roundup spraying his fields on a breezy day.

To know if the plants are truly alive or dead, find the thickest piece of stem per plant and carefully scratch the surface to see if you can find any trace of green. That means the plant is still alive and will come back. If no green at all, then you have compost material.
Normally all these fruit bushes are super tough so it could just be an outdoor adjustment to your harsh weather.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 20:33 »
Thanks for the replys. Just to add the neighbouring plot also seems to have the same problem but it is a new allotment site so we are all newbys together.  Next time I am up there I will look more closely at the fruit bushes to see if there is any green.  It just makes me weary of planting anything above ground at the moment though.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 21:27 »
Well, you can't grow underground strictly. :lol:

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:30 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Well, you can't grow underground strictly. :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

clip
gooseberries or currants

Started by AK9 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2015, 12:54
by sunshineband
xx
Currants and gooseberries - which needs least shade?

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 15:28
by Trillium
xx
Gooseberries and white currants in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2018, 11:01
by Dev
xx
Standard or bush for Gooseberries or white currants

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2016, 19:46
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 38 queries.