Any songs where nobody has a clue what it's all about...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Send in the clowns...

(I actually love this by Judy Collins, but really don't understand it all yet)...

oldgrunge

Re: Any songs where nobody has a clue what it's all about...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 21:22 »
Most of Bob Dylan's, but still enjoy them!
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Stewarty

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 22:20 »
I've recently been haunted by a jolly-sounding tune that I half-heard in a Spanish supermarket a few weeks ago. I dimly remembered it from the 80s, and had a sort of hazy image of the singer, including funny haircut, probably from an old Top of the Pops. Gradually the name of the singer came to me, in fragments, eventually forming themselves as Gilbert O'Sullivan!  So I googled him, to hear the whole tune, clarify his visual image, and check the lyrics.

Fascinating outcome  -  The song was called 'Alone again - naturally'. The haircut was there. The tune was jaunty and catchy and hummable. But the words were in striking contrast  -  3 episodes of personal tragedy, quite devastating when read off the page rather than heard. Be interested to hear anybody else's thoughts....

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:03 »
Most of Bob Dylan's, but still enjoy them!

Absolutely, Old!

I used to know most of the words by Bod Dylan back then, and even bought 'Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands' many years after it was produced, as it has such a haunting, but beautiful tune, but there again, it's not a song to understand, especially as it's a whole side of an LP...

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 07:09 »
Stewarty, when Gilbert O'Sullivan first appeared on Top of the pops, he played a piano, and wore a flat cap. There was also a hatsand with an old raincoat hung there as a prop!

He was a real change from the normal diamante trashy stuff, but I didn't think at the time that his lyrics were that important, so perhaps I should try harder!

I did like his songs though, and it's worth a quick WIKI to see what happened later! Thanks!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 13:56 »
Really like him and that song - it has such pathos which you don't expect with that kind of tune unless you really listen to the words. He also wrote one about his baby daughter that has a giggle at the end. There are some songs I don't get - all I can think of at the moment is MacArthur Park.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 22:06 »
I think the Gilbert O'Sullivan thing was Claire or Clare (and I think also was about his manager's little daughter).

Not quite sure about the metaphor/s behind Paul Simon's 'Diamonds in the soles of her shoes'

MacArthur Park on the other hand is not complex at all and is in fact a simple warning to amateur bakers not to expose their baked goods to the weather when showers are forecast.  Probably.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:39 »
I just love MacArthur Park! Richard Harris was such a great character, and those lyrics made it all the more fun!

When it came out, there was 'flower power' everywhere, and this made all those squidgy luvvie songs look more like dross than before!

I don't believe for one moment, Hamsters, that it was a warning to bakers! I reckon you made that up...

OK, here's another one - 'Subterranean homesick Blues'... (Dylan again - who else)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:41 by Growster... »

xx
Songs link up

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2019, 16:48
by mrs bouquet
xx
Spring gardening songs...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 13:45
by Goosegirl
xx
Just for fun. Songs related to herbs and spices.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

31 Replies
Last post April 11, 2019, 08:24
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.