Broody hen

• 9 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
Broody hen
« on: September 25, 2018, 13:32 »
Hi every one I have two hens that are very close and good friends but one has been broody for over a month now and was wondering if it would be ok to separate the broody from the other one and leave the other one on her own for a few days in the coop. Bit worried about her being alone every night such a big space for just one ordered some more for the spring. They won't come out in the mornings because the broody is staying put so the other one won't come out they are hardly eating either any help would be appreciated

8doubles

Re: Broody hen
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 17:32 »
I would put them both out and close the coop during the day !
The broody is doing herself no good sitting constantly, a few days out in a chilly wind may cool her off a bit .

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 09:11 »
Thank you for your reply but I have tried this on several occasions and left her out all day when she is out she doesn't do anything just straight to the bush in the garden and sits there all day without eating but she's straight in first opportunity and just sits there again so the next day is the same. She's been like that for a couple of months now but every day I've been doing it but the other one won't move without her. They have both started moulting now as well

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:50 »
Have you got a dog crate Frizzle or can you borrow one?  These are really useful for broody hens as you can put them up on bricks so there is a breeze running under them and they are not tempted to sit.

2 months is a long time for a hen to be broody and a moult on top will be putting a big drain on her.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 15:01 »
Yes that's something I would always do it always works but it means one of them in the coop on its own for a few days it's a big size I had 12 hens not so long ago but mr fox paid me a visit. Before it use to be ok when I had a few hens any advise would help day times is OK normally put them where they can see each other but it's nighttimes mainly

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 21:07 »
I think if it were me, I would use the anti-broody cage and keep them in sight of each other in the day, then put the cage is a shed or garage overnight and let the non-broody sleep alone.  Neither of them will like it, but hopefully it will only be for a few days.

A light (torch or similar) in the coop might help the non-broody get herself to bed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:22 by New shoot »

grinling

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 20:14 »
If the dog crate is big enough, put both in it. check on them several times as water and food bowls can be knocked over

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 20:56 »
It's not a massive crate but looks as though I'm going to have to get the sin bin out again and leave the other one on her own all night for a few days will be able to see the other one though day time but have no one of a night. Would have thought it was too late in the year to be broody anyway but she definately is. Must admit I've never tried the torch like New Shoot recommends I will do that as well as the crate anything is worth a try. Least the moulting is finished now be glad when I get the others in the spring next time they won't be on their own. Best to separate them now before the cold weather sets in

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 08:42 »
I hope you get your broody sorted soon Frizzle.  As you say, late in the year to be nesting, but that's hens for you  :wacko:  Hopefully she realises it is a bit daft and they can go back together in a few days  :)

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 09:22 »
Looks like I'm going to have to take the plunge and separate them. The only other way is to wrap her in a blanket and take her to bed with me, perhaps not I've decided against that already, Thanks everyone any more ideas appreciated

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 51 queries.