Fence repair

• 6 Replies

Allotment Angel

Fence repair
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:48 »
Hi!  After the awful winds over the weekend I went to survey the damage at the allotment.  Unfortunately a large section of our fence was leaning over - the wood had rotten at the bottom and had snapped in the wind.  As our plot is on the corner we have 120ft of fencing to maintain - though I reckon we can get away with repairing about 30ft of it for now!  As with everyone, money is tight and so I set off for home a bit dispondant, wondering how we would get hold of the necessary materials.  As I got near to our house I noticed the council were removing the tree stakes along the road.  So I asked what they would be doing with the stakes. They were going to take them back to the depot if they could get them out with the metposts on, but that was proving impossible (what a shame!) so they were just cutting them off at ground level and were going to take them to the tip!!!  Needless to say I now have 30 5ft tree stakes in the back garden and hubby has promised to try and repair the fence at the weekend!!    As we say up here "shy bairns get nowt!"

muntjac

Fence repair
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:51 »
good on ya , now bairns i havent heard that in a dogs age ,, you have to maintain it not replace it i should speak to the council as i think they may be on a sticky wicket expecting you to pay for it
still alive /............

Allotment Angel

allotment fence
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 21:57 »
Hi!  I was wondering how things stood regarding the fence.  It's an awful lot of fence and when we got the plot at the end of 2005 it was in a shaky state of affairs then.  Our allotment is self managed though, so I think I need to speak to the "boys" first before I upset everyone going at things the wrong way and contacting the Council first?

muntjac

Fence repair
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 21:59 »
good start  :wink:

Allotment Angel

Fence no-repair!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 13:49 »
Hi! just got off the phone from our allotment chairman who informed me that we are a self managed site and no the council will not help towards replacing our fence.  The fence is apparently my responsibility, to which I explained that I felt it unfair that I had 130ft of fence to look after (thats only 2 sides which are adjacent to the path!).  He wasn't very sympathetic and just said that there were others with the same amount of fencing and a lot of people on site had had wind damage to fences, greenhouses and the like!  I have to go and speak to the site manager apparently who will loan me the equipment I need.  Wish this had been explained more when we took on the allotment, although I was just so chuffed at getting a plot I didn't think about anything like this.  A lesson to anyone wanting to take on a plot!

muntjac

Fence repair
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 14:00 »
i shouldnt leave it there ,,,repair the fence and then bill the allotment folks , i should see a solicitor as you had not been made aware of these fasts prior to taking on the plot , ,, stand up and be a brussel sprout ,,,, dont be a radish  :wink:  :lol: and dont pay your rent in leu of the repaying of an expece you incur

Allotment Angel

fence is fixed!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 15:41 »
Ok, so what do I know about fences?! Wasn't as bad as I'd first thought.  Hubby went down this morning in the gales and managed to get the fence back into a vertical position using the tree stakes I scrounged the other day and some metposts we bought.  Even managed to stop up the gaps with bits of a pallet we had lying around on the plot!  What a team eh?! :D

xx
What can I use old fence panels and posts for?

Started by Yana on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post April 06, 2013, 07:49
by Yana
xx
Free stuff from fence builders...

Started by Sweetpea C on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 16:07
by Sweetpea C
clip
2 x 5l Cans of Ronseal Fence Paint for a £10 at Wicks

Started by cadalot on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 10:41
by lettice
xx
building a sturdy but cost effective fence

Started by hammers07 on Frugal Living

12 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 21:05
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.