Feeding raised beds

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

Feeding raised beds
« on: January 10, 2018, 15:00 »
I grow all my veg in raised beds. In June I will be sewing seed directly into them. I have bought some 6X to improve the soil but am unsure when to apply it.

So my question really is how long before sewing seed should I apply the 6X so that it isn't too rich for the emerging seedlings?

I have tried going to 6X website but it seems to be down at the moment.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Feeding raised beds
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 15:25 »
6x site says
Seed Sowing...
 Prepare your seed bed in the usual way, then sprinkle 1 ounce of 6X Natural Fertiliser per square yard and rake well in. When the seeds are well established a further sprinkling can be applied as needed, to continue vigorous growth.
Transplanting...
 In order that the transplants have a rich food bank to maintain a good, healthy and vigorous growth, rake in 4 to 5 ounces of 6X Natural Fertiliser per square yard about two weeks prior to planting.

http://www.6-x.co.uk/directions.htm

Personally, although that seems to say that you can 'sprinkle and sow' - I would use it a couple of weeks before sowing  ;)

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 17:31 »
I've used 6Xwhenplanting haven't had any probs and I really believe in 6X as a good fertilizer although I still use an NPK as well

hadn't thought about spreading 6X prior to planting a couple of weeks before but going to give that a go sounds a good idea

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:43 »
Thank you :D I found a good website which says spread 6X 'at least a week before sewing' so a couple of weeks sounds a good idea. I am going to use this for all my beds growing leafy crops; cabbages, salad, rhubarb and courgettes etc

However it seems as if there is too much nitrogen for root crops in 6X. Do you feed your root crops or just apply a good thick layer of compost a couple of months ahead?

One source suggest a general fertilizer low in nitrogen ( 5-10-10) a fortnight before sewing but i am struggling to find an organic fertilizer with this combination. Another suggestion is to apply a little bonemeal at the time of sewing to provide the seedlings with phosphorus to promote root growth.

What are the secretes to fantastic root veg?

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08 »
hi ,

last year was my best yet for carrots , parsnips and most other veg  were good and i did the following

3 weeks before any planting or sowing i gave a liberal feeding with 6 x  and i mean a very generous feed , i didnt rake it in or anything like that i just left it wash in and get in during the usual routine such as hoeing and raking

really un scientific but it worked

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 11:16 »
I'd apply a general fertiliser like Blood, Fish and Bone for roots, if you don't want to use 6x

xx
Feeding my raised vegetable beds

Started by ceeci on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 14:32
by ceeci
xx
Feeding Raised Beds after the first year

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 21:47
by yummy
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 14:18
by moose

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 41 queries.