Weeds on allotment

• 30 Replies

chillimummy

Re: Weeds on allotment
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 16:22 »
Like Notty1975 we get our woodchip from our local tree surgeon.  Provided we bring our own bags we can take as much as we want for free.  They would be drowning in the stuff otherwise.

After initial clearing of the paths we put down weed suppressant fibre then covered with woodchip.  We just top it up every year.
Anne
Wondered where you get your wood chip as we are near you and needing to cover my newly placed paths?
Have looked into buying some but reluctant to as doesn't fit in with my allotment ethos of minimal spending  :D

Hi Chilli.  We get ours from GP Gill tree surgeons.  They are on Tong Park Industrial Estate, half way up Hollins Hill on the left as you travel from Baildon to Guiseley.  They have a website.   Worth ringing them before you go to make sure someone is in the office.  They give you a key to the gate at the back of the site.  There is usually a vast mound of the stuff.  Take your own bags and it is free.
Hi Anne
Thanks so much for your reply. Had been given rough price of £20 for builders sack full so this will be brilliant to get for free. Also means can keep paths topped up and spread it around my fruit bushes to keep the weeds down too.
We are near Birkenshaw fire station but will be well worth the journey to keep stocked up.
Thanks again
Jude 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

xx
allotment and weeds

Started by detox on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 16:25
by Mr Bean
xx
Weeds on Allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2017, 18:34
by al78
question
Best way to rid weeds on the allotment

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 16:54
by Sparkyrog
xx
weeds in my allotment

Started by barry newton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 20:51
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 41 queries.