evening primrose seeds

• 4 Replies

sion01

evening primrose seeds
« on: April 07, 2011, 20:29 »
I am trying to grow evening primrose from seed for thr first timE( i got seedlings from a neighbour whos moved away before).
It says on the packet that I should put the seeds in a plastic bag in the fridge with slightly moist compost for 4 weeks.But there aren't any sowing times to follow so i'm a bit concerned about being too late/or too early.Does anybody have any ideas?

Trillium

Re: evening primrose seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 20:58 »
Evening primrose grow like weeds once they're established and self seed all over the place. Every year I have to pull out many clumps as they grow where I don't want them.

The easiest way with them is to find a spot in your garden for them that is weeded and roughed up. sprinkle some of the seeds over the area, then with your hand, press them down, then water gently. Mark off the planted area so you won't mistake them for weeds, and water now and then if nature doesn't oblige. You'll find them up soon enough.

sion01

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 21:30 »
Thanks for that.so am i wasteing my time with the stratification then.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:28 »
Let's put it this way, I let them self seed and then have to weed out great clumps of the stuff   :D

Rene

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 23:31 »
I am trying to grow evening primrose from seed for thr first timE( i got seedlings from a neighbour whos moved away before).
It says on the packet that I should put the seeds in a plastic bag in the fridge with slightly moist compost for 4 weeks.But there aren't any sowing times to follow so i'm a bit concerned about being too late/or too early.Does anybody have any ideas?

what the others are saying is true for evening primroses which are tall and come out in the evening, they will pop up everywhere from self seeding as i have them all over my plot and have potted some for my garden at home.
i wonder if youve got a packet of ordinary primroses or primulas as well? because that is the information on the packet to grow them, putting them in the fridge for 4 weeks. i have planted some last autumn in the soil and was hoping the frost would bring them on naturally, still waiting for results though, Rene in N yorks

xx
Evening primrose seeds

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 18:21
by evie2
xx
What colour are evening primrose seedlings?

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 19:35
by sion01
xx
Primrose and Polyanthus ?

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 23:15
by compostqueen
xx
polyanthus primrose primula

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 13, 2018, 20:27
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 38 queries.