Disaster after disaster this year

• 6 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« on: July 26, 2007, 10:45 »
What a year this has been so far for my plots!

We have had carrotfly and a huge slug invasion.  Freak winds blowing off a louvre window in the green house and flattened one of the runner been tents. The Pomador tomatoes outside have all had to be pulled up with blight and this has now spread to the green house.  It took four attemtps to get half a row of peas, because of mice.

But we are eating runner beans, dwarf beans, courgettes, beetroot and cucumbers.  Pototo's are also good, but starting to get attacked by the slugs.

I am thinking of trying to extend the season in the greenhouse. If I keep it warm from October onwards what could I grow in it?
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

paintedlady

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 11:11 »
I'm sorry to hear you have had a lot of problems.  It is disappointing when things don't work out.  Pests always were going to be a problem, as normally good cold frosty winters can knock them back a bit, but with such a mild winter, warm spring, wet summer .....
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:35 »
Hi all.
Spuds (Wilja and Premier) have started to show signs of potato 'early blight', runner beans and peas eaten by rabbits, garlic failed to appear, beetroot, swede, parsnip and turnip all failed to germinate. Early strawbs ravaged by slugs, but fought back to provide a great crop. Carrots in blue drum going great guns. Herbs doing particularly well; Lemon balm, mint, marjoram and russian tarragon particularly flourishing. Cabbage, broccoli and cauliflowers doing very well so far, but sprouts failed to germinate. Cucumbers and toms going great guns in greenhouse, but aphids have just started attacking tops of pepper plants. Oh, and someone stole my blackcurrant cutting from its pot. An improvement; last year they stole the pot as well. Just got myself a scythe too, for those overgrowing grass paths between the beds. And I've still got the view.

Mike

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 13:04 »
Runner beans and achocha still only 3ft high, had one courgette, french beans won't flower, greenhouse full of green tomatoes, butternut squash only a foot long., Cabbages and indoor cucumbers great. Slugs eaten every single seedling put out since May, have resorted to roottrainers. Tipping down outside again now. Right fed up. Still planting beans in hope of an indian summer going on to October.

milkman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 16:54 »
Freda in the bank this morning assured me that summer is going to arrive on 15th August this year!

Till then I am content with my harvest of runner beans and carrots, spinach beet and chard which are doing really well, I've also spied a purple cauliflower thingy hearting up under my viromesh which I need to keep an eye on.  

Everything else is turning out to be a bit haphazard and I think my sweetcorn is going to be a flop - the plants are lovely and green but the pollen is far too damp to fly off down onto the cobs below and no pollination means no yellow kernels.  :(

ps. rugbymad - viromesh really is the way to go for root-fly-free carrots - worth putting on your Christmas/birthday prezzie list ready for next year...
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 19:56 »
Well we are definitely not situated on the banks of a river.

But like everyone else , we've suffered the flood damage and today it was really sad to look at the plot covered in pools. Clay soil and months of rain , sooner or later the water is going to creep up the bean canes , drown the beetroot, onions , parsnips ( those that eventally germinated ! ) Just hope the onions dont rot they're sitting in pools of water.

Its such as a challenge , but so NICE to pick your own to cook and eat that I can't give up hope, that nature will help us out and give us a break in September/October . So if we can nurse the crops through we will have a harvest before the frosts ?? arrive.

Good Luck everyone . The price of veg in the shops is going to double so enjoy what you manage to eat from your own plot .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

leeky

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 00:25 »
Quote from: "mellowmick"
Oh, and someone stole my blackcurrant cutting from its pot. An improvement; last year they stole the pot as well.

Sorry about someone pilfering your things, Mike, but that made me laugh  :lol:

xx
Oh No! Disaster of not?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:40
by hindy
xx
Disaster

Started by oggy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2006, 17:25
by John
xx
Pea Disaster

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2006, 14:02
by supersprout
xx
Oca disaster

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 25, 2014, 11:25
by Markw

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 38 queries.