spuds for Christmas

• 19 Replies

rem858

spuds for Christmas
« on: June 07, 2009, 14:54 »
hi all just finished off my heated polytunnel and was wondering if i plant seed potatoes now (assuming i can get some) would  they survive the autumn to be ready for Christmas if so any ideas where to get and what variety   ??

Beejay

• Experienced Member
Re: spuds for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 15:08 »
If you have grown early spuds you can replant some in containers for Chrimbo!

Haven't tried it myself!
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 16:42 »
Quite a few forum members tried this last year, I don't think there were many successes.  Two common problems were putting them in too late (they don't grow that much once winter sets in) and frost killing the foliage.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 16:50 »
You have 2 option for growing Christmas potatoes.
1) in containers that you can lift into a frost free area later in the season.
2) Outdoors and be prepared for the frost to kill the shaws off. You can maybe fleece the shaws and prolong the growth and when they do finally go down you could make sure you have plenty of soil covering your spuds in the ground and leave them till near Christmas day and lift them.

Regarding using your own seed potatoes you must make sure that your potatoes are harvested and left for 60 days before re-planting to kick start the growth cycle.
The latest to plant is the middle of August. That means you have about 10 days to lift your potatoes if you want to use them.
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 22:54 »

2) Outdoors and be prepared for the frost to kill the shaws off. You can maybe fleece the shaws and prolong the growth and when they do finally go down you could make sure you have plenty of soil covering your spuds in the ground and leave them till near Christmas day and lift them.

Regarding using your own seed potatoes you must make sure that your potatoes are harvested and left for 60 days before re-planting to kick start the growth cycle.
The latest to plant is the middle of August. That means you have about 10 days to lift your potatoes if you want to use them.

Hi Iain

Funnily enough, when I mentioned Christmas spuds in the Potato Blight !!!! thread, I did have a thread on the topic in mind... only I was going to suggest that you might consider starting it!  :)

What are your thoughts on winter seed potatoes, Iain, and do you guys at JBA have any plans to market any?

Howard

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 07:59 »
Well last year the phone was red hot with people wanting them and I didn't have any but this year I have the largest choice of them.

People call them different things, summer potatoes, autumn potatoes, second cropping potatoes or Christmas potatoes.

I think the thing to remember is that the frost will kill the shaws off but your crop will survive as long as you have lots of soil on top.

I will try it myself with some in the potato planter bags so that I can move them into a frost free area and I will grow some in the garden to see the differance.

Did you see my new videos Howard?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 17:23 »

Gonna give this a go - I can grow them in a large bag in my greenhouse with straw round the outside to keep the cold out and a polysheet tent (with air holes) around them as double insulation from sept onwards. What do you think?
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 17:29 »
Iain - where and how do you store this year's seed pots before planting for Crimbo?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mashauk

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 17:37 »
We bought some at the pound shop (didn't want to risk the expensive ones), they were Carlingford, came up a treat, and we were naughty and put them in the bed where the earlies had come out of!

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 19:02 »
Aelf I would just use some old compost bags so you can start them off outside and then lift them indoors when you need to.

Goosegirl we have massive coldstores which are used to keep the potatoes in a state of dormancy and once they come out into the summer heat they will fly.

Elcie

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 22:02 »
I would love to grow some spuds for Christmas dinner.  It is the first one I am making at home this year - not bad going considering I will be 40 by then - and would be great to have some home made veg on the table.

Will have a look at your site Iain and maybe buy some as I'm not ready to dig up my earlies just yet!

philskin

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 07:16 »
last year i put 6 rows in the corner of the garden up against the fence on xmass morning i dug them up and out of 6 rows i lost the equivalent of 1 row to slugs or whatever ,the haulms had died of but i just covered them with more soil .But the best thing was they tasted fab ,go for it youve nothing to loose
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 08:23 »
Any recommendations for varieties for Christmas crop?

I see the JBA site recommends Maris Peer - I'm growing some of them, so could try replanting some - but I think I'll buy some too to be on the safe side.

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 11:33 »
Well last year the phone was red hot with people wanting them and I didn't have any but this year I have the largest choice of them.

People call them different things, summer potatoes, autumn potatoes, second cropping potatoes or Christmas potatoes.

I think the thing to remember is that the frost will kill the shaws off but your crop will survive as long as you have lots of soil on top.

I will try it myself with some in the potato planter bags so that I can move them into a frost free area and I will grow some in the garden to see the differance.

Did you see my new videos Howard?

Hi Iain

Only just realised you'd picked up on my last post here. I guess I should have checked your website before I asked if you guys were selling any this year...  ::)

Anyways, I've just ordered some Ulster Classic and some Pentland Javelin, so please look after them well for me until August!  :)

I plan to have heat in my bigger greenhouse this winter (that's not as grand as it may sound - it is only 8' x 6'!  :) ) so they should be OK in that respect - and I'm planning to grow them in two big planters rather than polybags, in anticipation of them providing a bit more protection against the cold.

I have your youtube page bookmarked (and terrific it is), which rather neatly brings me to yet another question.

In your 'Potatoes for showing' video I see that you've pierced extra holes in the polybags (as I've done with all mine). Yours, however, are a darned sight neater than mine, which I achieved by stabbing them with a garden fork!

What's your secret?  :)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:35 by Howard »

xx
New Spuds At Christmas?

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 18:52
by peapod
xx
New spuds for Christmas ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2006, 12:16
by wellingtons
xx
Spuds for Christmas

Started by arronc on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 23:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Christmas day spuds

Started by boogaloo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 12:51
by boogaloo

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 41 queries.