Problems between no 3 and no 2

• 3 Replies

rosegarden

Problems between no 3 and no 2
« on: August 24, 2014, 18:49 »
We have got 3 hybrid hens and have had them for 13 months.  Everything has been fine until they returned from being looked after by a friend while we were on holiday.  They had their own coop and run and their usual food and treats of greens and corn in the evening.  No 3 has returned with a different personality - before she was a gentle giant and quite happy to be no3 now she is pecking at no 2 and today made contact with no 2 comb resulting in a small cut.  I have checked them all for mite lice etc and they are okay - In have also checked their vents feet and legs.  They have been wormed and dusted for mite etc.  I have treated the comb with gentian violet spray and all week I have been using anti feather pecking spay on no 2 no feathers have been pecked out but the actions of no 3 are quite aggressive.  It's as if she's had enough of no 2!!!!  We have cut out the treats and the corn but they are still having greens and today they have been free ranging all day.  The run is the correct size for 3 hens and they have access to water and layers pellets all day.  We are at a loss at what to do next and any advice would be appreciated. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Problems between no 3 and no 2
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 19:08 »
If you can separate no 3 from the rest, that will allow no 2 to re-establish her bond with no 1.  No 3 will then have to  take the pair on when she returns.  A collapsible dog cage will do for the daytime and then bring it indoors or put it in the garage overnight.

Failing that, beak rings, which stop hens closing their beaks completely, can work a treat.  You can buy them online if you don't have a poultry nearby  :)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 20:27 »
I think the pecking order is best sorted by the hens !

Top hen is not always a job for life !

I used to have an infra red camera in the coop and the amount of serious pecks to the head dealt out to subordinate hens with little or no damage was incredible.

If no 3 has had enough of no2s attitude and is letting her know , so be it!

Hens will be hens ! :)

grinling

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 22:53 »
If she is producing blood then seperating the bully for a couple of days should help, you may need to do this a few times. Also picking up the bully and walking around with her firmly under the arm can help as well.

xx
im having problems

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 14:49
by Roughlee Handled
xx
More bum problems

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 12:26
by ANHBUC
xx
egg problems

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 22:16
by Aunt Sally
question
Still having problems.....

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 21:47
by Chuckles

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 40 queries.