Treating untreated Fence Posts

• 13 Replies

nwalch

• Experienced Member
Treating untreated Fence Posts
« on: March 02, 2010, 21:01 »
I have some reclaimed untreated posts I want to use as fence posts but I need to treat them first. Any suggestions for what I can use, esp. for the bit that goes in the ground. Most of the fence preserve stuff is only useful for timber thats not in contact with the ground (esp. on non tanallised timber).

Also any cheaper alternatives to cementing them in.
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
Re: Treating untreated Fence Posts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 23:01 »
Hi, I have soaked mine in Cuprinol in a bucket for 30 mins and back filled the hole with aggregate (sharp sand & stone) the best I could do, thought the aggregate would not stay so wet as the soil?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 23:07 »
As our soil here in Lincs is very soft and posts can move easily when the ground is wet, my Brian digs the hole a bit deeper than normal, puts the post in the ground and bakfills first with hardcore, of all sizes and pounds it down with a club hammer, then fills with concrete, doesn't use so much concrete that way!

Steven Rowe

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 00:44 »
All depens on your soil and type of fence your puting up, i always concrete posts when the fence is above 4ft , a soild no gap fence take alot of stress from the wind and would probally rock the posts free without cement , another idea you could do is one i done for a custumer who wanted a fence but wanted it so the posts could be lifted out if he wanted to get big stuff into his garden that wouldnt fit threw the gate , I built brick pillers into the ground with a 100mm hole so the post could be lifted out at anytime , but this costs abit more that just useing cement, but on the plus side posts are easyer replaced when they do rot 

Slowgrind

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:56 »
You could try Bitumin. Coating to about four inches above ground level.
Wooden fence posts won't last forever no matter what you treat them with.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 17:36 »
My Dad has used a metal post base - it has a spike on it and goes into the ground, then you slot the fence post into the top part of the metal thing.

Can't remember what it's called though; metpost perhaps?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 19:32 »
My Dad has used a metal post base - it has a spike on it and goes into the ground, then you slot the fence post into the top part of the metal thing.

Can't remember what it's called though; metpost perhaps?

Yes it is a 'Met Post' only trouble with them I found is that they tend to twist as they go down!!!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 20:02 »
We covered the bottoms of the posts that were going into the concrete with nailed on damp course material that brickies use.

Then just normal outdoor wood stain painted once a year along with the shed.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

mjd

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 15:59 »
A good soak for 24hrs in old engine oil is good, just the part that's going in the ground that is.

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 17:27 »
A good soak for 24hrs in old engine oil is good, just the part that's going in the ground that is.

Not sure if I am right but I think I read some where that OLD engine oil is carcinogenic?

ciderman

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 18:57 »
hi u  could just put the post in strong plastic bags then tape the tops then use post crete

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:02 »
Ready-mixed post concrete tends to be expensive; there are cheaper concrete mixes.

Finish the top of the concrete so that it slopes away from the post to direct water away from it. There will probably be slight shrinkage of the concrete away from the post as it dries; fill it with a flexible exterior sealant and your post will last a lot longer.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

noshed

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 12:15 »
Chaps on our site wrap them in old compost bags
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 21:13 »
Cuprinol low odour wood preserver green.Can be used for allotments without harming plant roots ect. I brought a large 25ltr tin as  i'm in the process of building raised beds.
Purchased of the internet last year,can't think of the site at the moment but i'm sure if you search you'll find some.I'll have a quick search meanwhile.
pol

xx
Treating Wooden Posts

Started by bigplantpot on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 18:01
by bigplantpot
xx
fence posts

Started by JayAy on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 18:56
by Aidy
xx
Re-using Fence Posts

Started by CSChris89 on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 16:36
by CSChris89
xx
Fixing fence posts

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post November 19, 2018, 19:11
by grinling

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.