Why is it recommended to blanch veg before freezing but not fruit?

• 5 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Someone else posed this question in another thread and i thought it was a very good point.

Anyone know why veg and not fruit?
Liv.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Erm .......  :wacko:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Is it simply because fruit, I'm thinking fragile berries here, simply wouldn't stand up to the blanching process?
Fruits also include more acid than veg so I think they are slower to go off in the freezer :unsure:

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
When fruit and veg are harvested, they continue to undergo chemical changes which can spoil them and lead to deterioration – causing loss of colour, flavour and texture.

With fruit it isn’t as important to blanch as, as mumostig says, they contain more acid and are slower to go off in the freezer. However, we do for some fruit such as apples by submerging slices in boiling water for a couple of minutes to retain their colour.

Fruit is often frozen in dry sugar or a sugar syrup solution to help retain their colour and texture.

The reason to blanch veg and not fruit is mainly due to the difference in texture – most frozen fruits are a different texture once frozen and de-frosted and are a lot softer – whatever you do to them! Usually used for jams, pies, etc and not as a “stand alone” ingredient.

With vegetables you expect them to be pretty much the same as fresh (or at least I do) and that is why we blanch them. Freezing merely slows down, not stops, the enzymes which cause deterioration. Blanching destroys them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 23:30 by Val H »
Val
Recipes Galore!

Livinhope

Thankyou for that.  Now I know I didn't do wrong blanching apples, as I was led to believe.  They appear to be retaining their colour and not browning as has happened before despite lemon juice.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Yes, Thanks for that explanation.

xx
do you blanch cauliflower or not before freezing.

Started by 3759allen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post March 15, 2014, 21:13
by Ma Lowe
xx
freezing fruit

Started by rowlandwells on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 10:05
by Toosje
xx
To blanch or not???

Started by gavinjconway on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 23:00
by Madame Cholet
xx
To Blanch or Not To Blanch?

Started by plotnumberseven on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2007, 23:51
by spinny

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.