Unhappy Moulting Hen

• 11 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Unhappy Moulting Hen
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:21 »
Hi Everyone!  My top hen, a Black Rock, has been moulting for several weeks now and is looking scrawny and miserable.  I'm starting to get concerned though, because she is spending alot of time roosting on the bar and has started to be disinterested in even meal worms.  Our weather has turned nasty these past two days and today it is chucking it down and cold.  I wonder if the poor bird is just cold?  What do you think?
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Re: Unhappy Moulting Hen
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:42 »
Could you tempt her with some bread with some poultry spice on it or put some vits into the drinking water or you can add some cod liver oil to some oats.

It will give her a boost.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 12:48 »
Thanks Kim, I will have a go with some wet whole meal bread with Poultry Spice. 

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 13:19 »
It takes a lot out of them when they are moulting  :( Mine are eating like crazed beasts   :ohmy:

I give mine some soaked cats biscuits (good amount of protein) with some garlic powder in and cod liver oil.

Hope she perks up soon, bless her.
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 19:46 »
knit her a jumper to keep her warm, like they do for ex bat hens.
plenty of protein, and places out of the wind that she can get to.
ours is just putting out her new feathers and has started eating like crazy again, she had eased off as she lost the feathers, but she will be lovely again soon.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 20:52 »
Grumpydad, believe it or not, I have four, count 'em, four sweaters for my four hens ready for winter!  If this weather doesn't brighten upo soon, one of them is coming out for our little girl!  Good idea!

power_of_p3

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 19:13 »
Ok, seriously littleredhen, jumpers for chickens??? ever tried getting on eon before?  actually all stupidity aside, would this be a recommendation for a bird that's just started moulting now?  Cuase one of ours has just started and shes looking all cold and disinterested, although I did treat them to some poultry spide today for the first time and she woofed that cabbage and mash down...I thkn the others might have gotten a bit :D  seriously, is it the smell that they like or what cause as far as I know they have never had poultry spice???

BB ~~jo~~

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 19:21 »
i am sure lots of chucks go through the moult happily, its natural after all, but for ex bats who are not used to coming outside jumpers seem to help them, not sure about for normal hens that have been acclimatised to outside weather, mine are now back staring with feathers, so should be ok before it really starts to get cold.
have added poultry spice, but they dont seem to bothered, but show them a mealyworm !!!!
good for the extra protein to help with feather growth

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 19:49 »
I give mine poultry spice every week anyway, I mix it in the layers pellets.  Have just started giving cider vinegar in the water as well as a chopped garlic, and will try some cod liver oil on their porridge tomorrow I think. Diatom good for them too it seems so have tried that as well.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 22:06 »
hi littleredhen - i was wondering how your unhappy moulter is now as i have one just the same, she is very bald and undignified plus doesnt seem her self.  she has been moulting for about a week but itwas only today i noticed she is not her usual bossy self (she is top hen) is your girl back to her old self yet? 

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:24 »
Will someone please post a picture of a chicken in a woollen jumper this I just have to see.

sallylouise

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 13:15 »
Hi guys, just thought I would let you know that my top hen (she is a black rock) seemed to be moulting and she seemed to be spending alot of time up on her roosting bar anyway it turned out she was being hen pecked by the other 2  :(   it got so bad that I have seperated them she is doing alot better on her own and when she seems more confident I will re-introduce her  :)

xx
Unhappy hen

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:45
by Wyandottie
xx
Unhappy :(

Started by kizza on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 11:35
by kizza
xx
Unhappy hen?

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2017, 06:35
by ghost61
xx
Unhappy cockerel

Started by Bruce Rance on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 20:14
by chooknewbie

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 38 queries.