taking chicks from their mother

• 1 Replies

jobson336

• Experienced Member
taking chicks from their mother
« on: June 19, 2011, 19:09 »
hi,

my wonderful broody hen (black cochin) has done a sterling job of hatching and looking after 8 welsummer chick for the past 6 weeks.

she continues to be attentive and give them piggy backs on request, they are fully feathered and look fine to stand on their own 2 feet.
Can i take them off her now and put her back in with the other hens and the chicks seperate with other chicks that i hatched in the incubator (7 weeks ago)?

i really need the breeding pen back for some new chicks that hatched yeasturday and their broody mum.
I know mums usually get bored with them (which she hasnt yet) but can i take them from her now?
 8)

bantam novice

Re: taking chicks from their mother
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 19:52 »
Hello there  :)

I am not an expert and have let my mother broody decide when she has had enough.  This happened today and the chicks don't seem  to be fazed at all.  Ill check what happens in the coop at bedtime.  Mine are nearly eight weeks old. 

That said I don't see any reason why you shouldn't put your welsummers with your other chicks and pop mother back into the main coop. 

I'm sure there will be more experienced people along shortly.  In the meantime good luck and keep us posted  :)  and how about some chick pics?  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Mother hen still with chicks

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice
xx
When does a mother hen leave her chicks???

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 17:30
by Tazzy
xx
Chicks & mother hens

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2014, 15:41
by Lizziechick
xx
Pics of mother hen and chicks !

Started by spud on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2006, 22:33
by spud

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.