Blood in eggs

• 25 Replies

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Blood in eggs
« on: December 04, 2006, 22:27 »
Hello all.  Can anyone suggest any reasons for finding blood traces in eggs, sometimes more than others?  At times they become completely clear (normal). This is one of my uncles birds and he is stumped.

Thanks as always

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Blood in eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 22:33 »
Not usre what causes it Tom, but we get it occasionally too.  I just pick the blob of blood out and chuck it.  I know some people get put off by it as did  friend once, she'd never have any of my eggs after that episode!!

GrannieAnnie

Blood in eggs
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 22:47 »
Just found this bit on a website Tom.  

B. Blood Spots in Eggs
In talmudic times, blood spots occurred in eggs because of two distinctly different reasons. The first was that the egg had been fertilized and a chicken embryo was in formation. The second was that a tissue irregularity in the hen caused a small amount of blood to be deposited in the egg. In America in modern times, since there are no roosters in the egg-laying coop, only the latter occurs, and incidence of that is relatively low (markedly less than 1% of all eggs will have a blood spot).

In addition, United States government regulations require that Grade A and Grade AA table eggs be checked for blood spots in a process commonly referred to as candling (although it is now done with an infrared light) before eggs can be sold to the consumer as grade A or AA. Thus the incidence of blood spotting in grade A or AA table eggs is very, very small in the United States (perhaps as low as one in 1,000). Eggs with blood spots (or other deformities) are marketed as grade B eggs, which are then sold to commercial manufacturing plants to be used as ingredient in manufactured items. The incidence of blood spotting in grade B eggs varies based on a number of factors, and is not regulated by the government. Neither grade A nor grade AA eggs are ever produced in a chicken coop with roosters present, and it is improper to take an egg intended for hatching and sell it as a table egg; it is also very difficult to do, as chicken hatching farms are not licensed to sell eggs commercially to the public.3 Such eggs would never be found in a supermarket as a grade A or AA egg, although if one buys eggs from a roadside stand or a farmers' market, such eggs might be included in the eggs sold

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Blood in eggs
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 22:53 »
Chickens work very hard laying eggs and blood spots are just an occasional little burst blood vessel.  If it is frequent you could try giving some vitamin A suplement.  I give my chooks some Poultry Booster which is a multi vitamin you add to their water.  (I add a little to their feed - no waste then).

http://www.labtecltd.com/proddetail.php?prod=8905

muntjac

Blood in eggs
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 22:54 »
but thats america nanna so ignore it , unles it shoots 500 rounds a second its a dud ,i have it every now and agin n never worry about it ,so just look at it as ur geting two tone eggs
still alive /............

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Blood in eggs
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 08:55 »
"No. 1 Chicken section, Broodbox, 100m, 5 Eggs, Rapid FIRE!"

ive heard it called the 'range' before but those are some disciplined chooks you got there Karl :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

hermon

Blood in eggs
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 12:30 »
i've heard it can be caused by the hens suddenly being shocked whilst growing an egg :?:

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Blood in eggs
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 15:28 »
Hi ,  I have had this problem with one of my chickens and found this info online... hope this helps

BLOOD SPOTS Also called meat spots. Occasionally found on an egg yolk. Contrary to popular opinion, these tiny spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Rather, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots.

Mass candling methods reveal most eggs with blood spots and those eggs are removed but, even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. As an egg ages, the yolk takes up water from the albumen to dilute the blood spot so, in actuality, a blood spot indicates that the egg is fresh. Both chemically and nutritionally these eggs are fit to eat. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you wish –see Formation, Grading
Starting from scratch............

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Blood in eggs
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 21:33 »
Thanks everyone.  Some interesting points there.  Was surprised to her they are still edible.

GrannieAnnie

Blood in eggs
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 13:56 »
Oh they re definitely ok to eat MontyTom.  I know my friend wouldn't, but then she's a weirdy towny!!!!!  I asked her if she'd never seen a blood spot in a supermarket egg and she said no, but i have, on several occasions!

Actually, while we are on the subject, does anyone know why sometimes the whites are a bit watery, with our rescued chooks, we get that sometimes, and its usually the largest eggs that have it.  Someone said I'd given her old eggs (Blooming cheek!!!!), but I know the eggs she had that day weren't any older than 4 days.

muntjac

Blood in eggs
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 14:13 »
the watery ones are fine just give more greens  the yolks will so yellow you wont notice :wink:

GrannieAnnie

Blood in eggs
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 16:15 »
Oh I know the watery whites are fine Karl, just don't look so nice on the plate when they are flat, but I thought I was giving them too much greens, thought maybe it was that giving them the 'runs'!!!!!!!!!  In the whites as well as other things!!  :lol:  :lol:
They get corn in the afternoons as well, so my yolks are always nice and yellow!!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Blood in eggs
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 17:28 »
One of my hens (Gerty) lays eggs which have a rather watery white.  They make quite a flat fried egg even when VERY fresh.  Not sure why.  They tend to be quite large though, 75-80 grams, don't know if that is anything to do with it.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Blood in eggs
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 17:33 »
whats the best way to keep from watery whites then?

im only getting chooks for two reasons - eggs for me fried rice, and for me egg banjos (fired egg sarnies to most of you), cant be doing with flat eggs for those!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Blood in eggs
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 17:41 »
I wouldn't say flat so much as fits the bread nicely.  Tast fantastic too  :D

xx
Blood on Eggs

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 20:56
by Timbo47
xx
Blood on Eggs

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 19:12
by Prod
xx
Blood in eggs

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 11:12
by Tattyanne456
xx
blood in eggs

Started by lord croaker on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 09:28
by lord croaker

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 39 queries.