Worming - again!

• 3 Replies

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Worming - again!
« on: October 12, 2011, 13:31 »
Have successsfully wormed my girls - they loved the pellets with the
FFlubenvet mixed in as I stuck it all together with a slosh of cooking oil!

My friend is about to do her birds, but she has chickens, ducks & guinea fowl all in the same area.  I offered to consult all the experts on here to see if you think there would be a problem with ducks & guinea fowl having access to the treated pellets.
ManicMum

lilchic34

Re: Worming - again!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 14:02 »
I am new to having chickens, I got 2  for for the eggs now maybe you can help me with this, I ask somepeople and they tell me that you dont have to worm your chickens, but I was not sure if thats true, so I went a purchase this stuff called wazine" but on the bottle it said dont use if you are going to eat the eggs, so my question is do you have to worm your chickens?? and another thing I was going to make my son eggs this morning and I notice that in the yolk look like a very small red worm, like a vein shape!!! does worms get into the eggs??

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 19:12 »
Do you have a cockerel because that small red worm thing sounds like a fertilised egg.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 23:00 »
Manic Mum I can't help with your question, sorry.  But I presume if you had a lot of different birds living in one area you would want to worm them all at once to reduce re-infection?  So my completely uninformed opinion would be to encourage all the different birds to eat the pelets.  I hope someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon with a better answer. :)

lilchic34, although it is technically possible to keep poultry without worming them, I advise you very strongly to worm your birds.  I tried to avoid worming mine, but despite all my best efforts they got worms anyway.  A heavy worm burden can cause serious health problems for chickens so it is an important issue.

Flubenvet is a type of wormer that doesn't have a with-holding period,so you can keep on eating the eggs.  Other types of wormers usually recommend you don't eat the eggs for 14 days after using the medication.

The small red thing in the egg won't be a worm - it is most likely to be just a tiny blood spot from the chicken.  If she is young and is new to laying, these spots are very common.  As she lays more eggs you will see them less often.  They are perfectly fine to eat.

xx
worming

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 28, 2007, 22:26
by redjane11
xx
worming

Started by chicklady on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 18:12
by chicklady
question
Worming?????

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 08:49
by ghost61
xx
Worming

Started by Bantymad on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 06:40
by Bantymad

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.