finding your past

• 8 Replies

chrissie B

finding your past
« on: August 11, 2018, 17:27 »
Hi all i just joined a geaniolagy forum , the son and myself had been on ancestry and we hit the wall basically so we came off and had a rest and said we would start again when the next cencus is released , hes in the armmy and hasent got the time realy any way came across this forum and they have been so helpfull and filled in a few blank boxes for us regarding my dad born in 1895 yes not a missprint he was a pensioner when i was born , he was in ww1 and lost his big toe , this info i kept to myself but they found his medical record i knew it was his because of the injury and when he was sent home and the ship as well .
Was also looking for info on ther grandparents on my mothers side and got a few things from that .
So well pleased with it all.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mrs bouquet

Re: finding your past
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 19:59 »
that's interesting  (good to do in winter - in doors !)  My daughter did some once for my Mother, who had always been told about Italian blood.  It seems that the Italian man was in fact the stepfather, so no Italian blood at all.  Mum was furious. :mad:  But it made us laugh  :lol:.
I didn't know there were forums for this hobby.  I shall have to find out about those. Thanks and good searching, regards, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 12:49 »
I came across this just by chance and its been helpfull both sides of the family there are loads of different categories and other peoples stories very interesting , im hoping i may bump into someone looking for the same thing.
chrissie b
p.s. let me know if you want the site name.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 12:53 »
MB - I've used several forums to research people who used to live in Thurnham and they've been a great source of info to add to my database which currently stands at about 5,500 names. Apart from the census, I've used Curious Fox, Genes Reunited, Northern Antiquarian Forum, Ancestry.com, Rootschat, British Genealogy and Family History Forum, Family Tree Circles, and familysearch.org which is run by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. Most if not all are free but if you want a certificate or more details, you may have to pay. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 20:44 »
Oh gosh, thanks a mil.   That will be my winter project,  Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 11:05 »
It's very addictive MB so maybe you'll need more than one winter! Also, you do come across problems identifying the right person from the info especially if there's a missing birth, marriage or death certificate.
One of my main problems was that there are a lot of common surnames round here and often the son was named after either his father or his father's brother. Example: John Lamb has a brother called Edward. John calls his son John but Edward calls his son John, then you have two children born around the same times with identical Christian and surnames.  :blush: Your local records office will also be a mine of info, plus they can help you when you get stuck. Good hunting!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 12:07 »
Thanks again Gg.  It looks like shall be in for the long haul,  but it is a good way to fill long dark winter days and evenings. Mrs Bouquet

Somebody once said (I cannot remember who) that He gave all his sons the same Christian name, then when he called out, at least one of them would appear - I don't know if its true.   :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 12:50 »
I have just had my Cuz over from Canada, its been 44 years since she was last here, we go over every few years to see them.
She wanted to pay a visit to all the old houses and then we popped to see me mam n dads grave etc, when we was there we chatted about mams parents, I knew where they were buried but not where in the cemetry, it has turned into a bit of a trek, grand ma died age 46 in 1957 followng illness and was buried with her parents but the stone was not updated, there was some family friction as I found out grandpa was seeing aother woman just before she died, me mam never spoke about it and it has been a bit hush hush for a while, when grand pa died he was placed in the same grave but again no new headstone, it appears me mam and two brothers wanted to update but her other brother in canada refused, this bugged me cuz somewhat and she expalined all.
In trying to find out the name of the headstone they were buried we have found out a few other things we knew nothing about, me mam had two sisters that were still born and buried in a mass grave at the same place  :ohmy: this again was never mentioned.
I am now waiting on the priest to return of his holidays to hopefully find out where they were buried, my cuz has said she would be happy to contribute in getting the headstone done with all there names on, so this is now my new mission.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 20:07 »
It is addictive but great to find out what they did for a living  and where they lived , ive got back in time but need to find what happened to my dads family and parents up in scotland , ive just joined a scottish forum but aparently im in a que to be added on if im not on tonight i will not bother might try some of those previously mentioned .
ive been trying to get me dads service number ww1 but unless you pay a fortune you never get it , i had his medals ut they were stolen and i never thought to get the number from them life would be a lot easier if i had also he was a widower so there may be family there who knows .
chrissie b

xx
Christmas past

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2021, 12:27
by Goosegirl
xx
AM I PAST MY SELL-BY DATE

13 Replies
Last post March 25, 2018, 10:28
by John
xx
Goosey's past about to be revealed.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2018, 14:44
by Goosegirl
xx
past presenters of gardener's world

14 Replies
Last post November 07, 2022, 11:32
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 47 queries.