Blight now infecting ferline tomatoes

• 2 Replies

ricky

Blight now infecting ferline tomatoes
« on: July 11, 2017, 21:36 »
Well folks blight has now started to effect my ferline toms after wiping out my magic mountain so I can't blame the seeds, this must be a very severe blight I have  Definitely not Botrytis no mould on toms I have had it year's ago unfortunately guy's my I'm between phones at the moment so I can't get pics up at the mo , my leaves have black patches and everyday I pull lovely sized toms with this blight mark on them , so my friends whats to do do I sterilize the soil jeyes fluid or stick in over wintering green manure I know blights air bourne spores but I'm trying to cut down my risk next season , next season sometimes I wonder is it worth all the hassle cheers folks. Ricky

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Blight now infecting ferline tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 21:07 »
That really is bad luck ricky.  I have had Ferline go down with blight outside on the plot before.  That was in a bad blight year when everyone's tomatoes got hit.

Jeyes fluid is no longer registered for use as a soil sterllizer and I'm not sure it would do anything to stop blight next year.  The spores can only survive on living material, so clear the tunnel, burn the plants and maybe look to hose down the interior to make sure everything is clean.

Tomato blight isn't going to affect green manure, so a crop of that would be fine and would help build up the soil fertility.

Maybe you could look at having some other crops in the tunnel next year.  If only part of it is down to tomatoes, at least you wouldn't lose the lot again.

ricky

Re: Blight now infecting ferline tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 21:58 »
Thanks new shoot I've had blight knock out the polytunnel before but that was ordinary moneymaker that's when I changed to blight resistant varieties and they have been good up until now  , i know that blight seems to get worse every year different strains and I don't want to spray the lot every year with dithane it's very messy il do what you said my friend get a good wash done and stick in a green manure thanks for your help Ricky.

xx
Is it blight? (Tomatoes)

Started by Goldfinger on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

18 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 20:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
Ferline tomato seed out of circulation

Started by ricky on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2021, 11:34
by Growster...
xx
Mountain magic tomatoes/ blight resistant

Started by ricky on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2017, 21:34
by ricky
xx
Blight??

Started by sonnycbr on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 10:05
by brianbishop

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.