Dog food / colitis.

• 13 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Dog food / colitis.
« on: March 22, 2016, 14:07 »
We got a rescue dog (collie x) in Novmeber who was quite emaciated due to being a stray, he now has a very sensitive tummy and suffers with colitis because of starving for so long.
I have tried Bob on a few different foods now and it seems that he cannot tolerate wheat, he's now on Arden grange dried food (chicken and rice) and although he has improved, he's not completely better. Bob also isn't keen on this food and needs a bit of coaxing and meal times.
I'm wondering if a fish and potato food would be worth trying but they do seem expensive. Bob loves fish! I'm already giving him the dried fish treats from fish4dogs but again, they are expensive.
The only advice the vet gave was to try different foods until we find one that works for him.  ::) 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 14:10 by JaK »

snow white

Re: Dog food / colitis.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 14:52 »
Mine are on Skinners food, either duck and rice or salmon and rice, they also do a lamb and rice.  Mine need a bit of encouragement too, but I find a drizzle of olive oil or tuna oil (we eat a lot of tuna in sunflower oil) does the trick.  Its the only food at a decent price that does not give them the runs.

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 19:18 »
Our huskies were fed raw tripe by their breeders, and we found their stomachs were easily upset by any canned food. We fed them on tripe when we could get it, mixed with a complete dry food. If they had an upset stomach at any time I gave them chicken and rice or fish and rice and this seemed to settle it.  It is said that if a dog is a poor eater, to rub around their food dish with a clove of raw garlic, and this is supposed to encourage them to eat.  I can't say that it proved true with any of ours, but it must work for some dogs.  I agree with Snow White, tuna was definitely one of their favourites, and they would all come running before I'd even got the tin open, though how they knew it was a tin of tuna I'd taken out of the cupboard I really couldn't say.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:03 »
I feed my 3 on Millies Wolfheart (only for sale on line or from the place in Yorkshire - although if you watch Emmerdale you will also see it for sale in the vets on there) you can find their website  here. Their food is grain free including rice free, chicken free, egg free, white potato free and beet pulp free. My Newfie Harry has several food intolerances  because of his previous life and this is the only food that suits him. Even raw didn't agree with him. His poos are now firm and small (well small for a Newfie lol).
June or Mark who own and run Millies will always answer your questions and I would advise you calling them up to discuss your dogs needs, Mark will then advise which of their foods will be best for your dog. you can pay a small amount for next day delivery or if you can wait for a few days then delivery is free - it gets delivered by DPD who give you an hour time slot which you can track online, this saves you waiting around all day.
A couple of their feeds can be started straight away without having to change gradually and all of their feeds are suitable from weaning to old age saving you having to swap foods over.
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:28 »
Thank you for the suggestions so far, it helps a lot since there are so many brands out there and comparing ingredients takes forever! I probably have about three weeks worth of the arden grange food left so can do a gradual transition.

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:44 »
in the which guide for dog foods all the millies come out either on top or very close to the top and they are cheaper than most other sensitive brands. Depending on the activity of your dog you will need a different of protein to fruit/veg. harry being a newfie isn't as active as a working collie (all millies is classed as a working food so there is no vat payable) so he has a 50/50 feed which is less than £40 per sack. They do a 70/30 feed which is for the very active dogs out there.
My two others (Rosie - SBT x BT x JRT and Fred - BT x SBT) are also on the same millies even though they have no intolerances.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 20:57 »
I feed my 3 on Millies Wolfheart (only for sale on line or from the place in Yorkshire - although if you watch Emmerdale you will also see it for sale in the vets on there)

:lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:57 »
it was really good of the Emmerdale team to approach them to see if they would like their feed in the vets as they are also a Yorkshire company. The only thing they had to alter was the clear plastic bags that they normally come in and put the food into paper sacks.

easyonthebrain

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 07:30 »
I had a GSD who had colitis on occasions and the vet had recommended Chappie Original in the tin and then moved onto the dried dog food after that. He never really put weight on and was troubled with colitis on and off his whole life.

Beekissed

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 14:16 »
Maybe add bananas and buttermilk to the diet?  Both are supposed to be really good for colitis and both are loaded with nutrition, while the buttermilk can reculture the bowel. 

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 12:15 »
Thanks for all the input, I've found that Wainrights (pets at home) do a salmon and potato feed which is a little cheaper, I've ordered some for Bob to try once he's up to it.

At the moment he is really poorly, and is only just coping with rice and chicken stock and drinking nowhere near enough. Hoping his tummy settles in the next couple of days.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 11:50 »
Bob has been on the Wainrights salmon and potato food for a few days now, I've been soaking it for him and he's doing really well on it. Bob also seems to really enjoy eating the salmon food and hasn't turned his nose up once so hopefully he'll start to recover the weight and condition he's recently lost. Bob was on a course of Pro Kolin + to help settle and reculture his gut, this has run out now but I will be putting him on a daily dose of probiocs (in a powder form) in the hope it prevents him getting so poorly in the future.

mobilekat

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 12:10 »
How is Bob doing now?
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

sarajane

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 18:14 »
Have you tried poaching some Coley fish. Not too expensive for short periods if you buy it frozen. It was the only thing my old cat could stomach when unwell and she got to 17

xx
What dog food

Started by blackberryjam on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post January 01, 2014, 22:13
by blackberryjam
xx
cat food

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 07:33
by Muppetgirly
xx
Dog food

Started by asd1 on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 14:46
by Mrs.Apron
xx
What dog food?

Started by Sue33 on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 07:16
by joyfull

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.