What kind of hybrid?

• 29 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Re: What kind of hybrid?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 09:39 »
UrbanG, Your black girl is the same (apart from more gold feathers around her neck) as 1 of my bluebelle's, Or blue ranger as my breeder calls them

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 15:34 »
Well they are all beautiful - no idea how I'm going to choose! ::) Looking forward to tomorrow so I can at least she what she has!

The stuff I ordered off the internet yesterday has already arrived (v impressed) - wasn't expecting it, with the bank hol, until tuesday. So, if it stops raining long enough for me to sort the run and fox proofing I might be able to go get them by the middle of next week! :D

Ribbit

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 18:56 »
Get an Amber star! -hint hint nudge nudge-
It's like America...But south!

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 16:06 »
So, I've been! :D

Think I've made my choices already...!

Really liked the Black rock/star - really beautiful, she got one out for me to hold and its feathers were almost green in the light! Then for pure cheekiness I actually liked the warrens - they were the most entertaining to watch....and the Amber link/star! So think they will be my three.

They had Bluebelles and Speckled hens but they were a big bigger and more stand-offish.

She was really nice and the hens seem really well looked after. So I go get them on Tuesday! :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 16:23 »
blackrocks are lovely, the first hen I got was one  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 17:31 »
arh its very exciting, they sound a lovely trio, looking forward to piccys of them when you get them settled.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

hillfooter

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 05:07 »
AS hybrids aren't standardised they can vary a lot by breeder and the names breeders give them maybe just specific to those breeders.  Commercial breeders probably produce the most standardised birds as they maintain consistent breeders birds so if you get a ISA, Hyline, Lohmann, Babcock or Meadowsweet (these are the names of large breeders) bird for example with a given name it is likely to have a well defined genetic makeup and be produced from breeder stock supplied by the original breeder.  They are therefore likely to be a consistent strain.  Commecial birds are breed for max egg yield with maximum thrift.  

Smaller breeder's birds may just be nice looking birds or produce unusual colour eggs for the hobbist or speciallity producer.  The names they use are intended to make them marketable and are applied to broadly similar crosses and aren't necessarily reproducable or consistent between breeders.  

Hybrids are like Mongrel dogs whereas Pure breeds are like pedigree breed dogs (ie the type is standardised and they breed to type, hybrids are crosses of pure breeds or standardised breeder stock and are created at each generation This means there's no such bird as a Speckledy cock for example as the male bird maybe a pure breed Maran (not actually sure of the crosses which are used).  Black Rocks are I believe RIR Plymouth Rock crosses etc.  Sussex Stars will be Light Sussex crosses and so on.

Your best bet is to talk to the breeder about the stock, their characteristics and how they breed them and maintain the characteristics of that particular strain.

I currently have some chicks which are meant to be Vorwerks but I'm begining to think there maybe some VW X BS or SS crosses in with them as they aren't all looking like VW chicks.  Maybe I'll dream up a fancy name for them such as Speckled Vorks.  Or maybe I'll wait and see what they look like first!
HF
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 06:14 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

marianwhittock

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 09:39 »
just to put my twopennyworth in.  My little red hen is the friendliest.  my breeder said everyone should have one!  :) :)

graces-chickens

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 21:51 »
Out of my 6 hybrids, the two most friendly (and the ones my 3 yr old carries around-one under each arm)  are the Amberlink and the warren type (little red hen).

my grace (just had her 4th birthday) carries her little red hen (selina) around all the time!! she is so easy going and mischevious :nowink:

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 23:08 »
I go and collect them tomorrow afternoon - am v excited but bizarrely nervous - think I have been spending too long reading about fox attacks and illnesses and strangely shaped eggs! :blink:

Still haven't changed my mind over the 3 I want... yet, anyway! :lol:

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 15:49 »
Have got my girls! They are safely installed in their coop for 24 hours and then, if it doesn't freak them out too much will try to get some pics! :D

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 17:28 »
arh congratulations, wot did you get in the end then, looking forward to some piccys.   When i got my girls, i left them in the coup for a couple of hrs and then let them out about 5ish for a few hrs, even being in the coup for a couple of hrs they knew to put themselves to bed.   Looking forward to the piccys.  nicky

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 21:20 »
I did get what I planned - a warren, Black Rock/star and an amber link/star (although she isn't very 'amber', almost all white).

I was just going on what the lady told me - she said put them in the coop for 24 hours and keep them in the pen for a week. I may let them out in the pen in morning though and see how they go. Can't wait to see them out and about! :)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 21:56 »
arh fantastic, they sound lovely, i would let them out first thing in the morning, they will be fine, its all very exciting for you,   im sure you wont sleep tonite and if you do you will be awake really early, i know i was.  nickyx

Clarie

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 12:53 »
We have several different breeds (two of each) but the friendliest by far are the two Warrens - Betty and Kitty. They love being picked up and cuddled and always come and stand next to me when I'm in the garden. The most skittish are the White Leghorns. I can't get near them at all but they do lay pure white eggs every day.

xx
What Kind of Chick is This, Please?

Started by LittleRedHen on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 09:03
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Thought I'd be kind...

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 15:17
by wildwitchy
xx
My hybrid hen is broody ??

Started by orionsquare on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 23:14
by storme37
xx
guess the hybrid quiz !

Started by threeranger on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 10:49
by joyfull

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.