i want to get some bees

• 9 Replies

joshbuchan

i want to get some bees
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:17 »
hello, i am going to be making a hive for my roof, i have allready started on the sides just need to get some more off cuts of wood to finish it.
so i was woundering are there any urban beekeepers out there willing to give the biggest nooby like me the biggest run through on beekeeping, i know how to catch a swarm if i c one, but 2bh i will probly just order a swarm. i will be getting a beekeepers book next week once i ge payed, but till then is there anything i should know?

thanks.
Josh.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: i want to get some bees
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 20:19 »
i would seriously recommend  you join your local beekeeping association and attend one of their courses.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 22:31 »
. i will be getting a beekeepers book next week once i ge payed, but till then is there anything i should know?

YES! The bees have read a different book to you, so will not be doing what you think they should be doing as per your book!

Might sound mad, but bees are not hens or pig or like any other live stock.

5 years on and I am still learning and still can get caught out.

It is VERY easy and every chance that is you buy a nuc (not a swarm) that you not have it by even early next year! Sorry to say.

What type of hive are you making?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 22:33 by jimbeekeeper »

joshbuchan

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 13:32 »
wow yorker! joining a club, i have allways been very sye around lots of people i dnt know :unsure: will u hold my hand :lol: lol, i would love to come along!! were is it and when is your next meeting, how much is it. thanks.

hey jim, thanks for your tips,
i will be making a National brood box, but just till know have only found out i need to make it out of red ceder wood.... how much is a cupple boards of this stuff going to put me back i wounder.

i have found a nice little kit on the net acturly, it coems with.

the complete hive either WBC, National, or Langstroth
the book Bees at the Bottom of the Garden
standard copper smoker, Ten smoker cartridges
jacket and veil, leather gloves
record book
stainless steel hive tool
Ashforth feeder
'Honey for sale' sign and
3 months free subscription to
Bee Craft or Scottish Beekeeper

what the diffrence betwean a WBC, National, or Langstroth hive?

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 16:52 »
No knowing your wood working skills or equipment you have, I would say making them is quite a task for just a couple of hives.

You do not need to make them out of cedar, but it is def the best wood. Some do make out of pine or even ply (well treated)

Thornes do "seconds" hives as flat packs, a full hive ex frames and foundation for about £80.

No putting of this great allotment forum, but there is a great beekeeping forum, aprtly named

www.beekeepingforum.co.uk  I am sure if you say hello on there you might find somone close to you who will show you the ropes.

WBC and national are basicaly the same inside, just that the WBC has a second skin of outer boxes to give it the tradytional beehive shape.
Langstroth are different sized frames.

One other tip is if you find somone that can help you, best to use the same type or size of frames as them so you can help each other out of you need to swap frames.

joshbuchan

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 17:05 »
well my dad will be helping to and doing alot hehe ;) and i can get well treated ply wood from work, but i would ike to use ceder as it helps keep the pests out?

dose theys thornes have a web site plz? £80 for a beehive sounds like a steal!

i will defantly check out theys bee fourms thanks!

ok i probly only want a national beehive then, as it will be much lighter.

so theres diffront sized hives n fames??... what size would u recomend to a beginer if i cant find anybody near me.

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 17:33 »
Thorne web site is as sime as its name!

http://www.thorne.co.uk/

Never heard of ceder keeping pests out!

The £80 hives are in their seconds sale, next one I know of will be their Winter on-lie sale. Email them for more info.

The also do bees on a budget kits which are also good value. £114 get you the lot, not worth messing about makeing it from scrach. Just Ikea type flat pack build it up.

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/millhouse/thorne/shop/springer?ACTION=SHOP&THISPAGE=page10002.html&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!

I would stick with the national std frame sizes,

joshbuchan

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 19:29 »
geeze!! 115 pound for a brand new working hive!!! thankyou so much! i know what i am getting fot my 18th this july 2und of mummy n daddy :lol:

and just 22 pound for a vail and jacket! thankyou for this fantastic site!! its going to be like god to me! just need find myself a good book now :lol: have u got any inmind hehe ::)

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 20:02 »
Only book I have, and most have is by Ted Hooper. Bees and beekeeping.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Bees-Honey-Ted-Hooper/dp/1899296042/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277060402&sr=8-3

Price looks to have shot up in the last few months, it used to be only about £7 -9.

Other good book is bees at the bottom of the garden.

But as most people say only get one book, if you read more then one they will confuse you.

Old saying goes " ask 5 beekeepers a question and you will get 7 answers"

joshbuchan

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 20:34 »
Bees at the Bottom of the Garden, i think i will get that one, i love pictures lol :tongue2:

chears for all your great advise! u have put me on the right track now thanks! :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 20:40 by joshbuchan »

xx
My Bees are in

Started by kevinp on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:33
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Bees

Started by Jilly Pickles on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 23:13
by jimbeekeeper
xx
Bees

Started by wilbzfishing on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 17:49
by sunshineband
xx
New bees

Started by ManicMum on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:04
by darren64

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 39 queries.