Keeping Chickens

• 18 Replies

Lilac

Keeping Chickens
« on: October 25, 2007, 14:39 »
Hi

I brought 2 chickens home about 4 months ago now...Me and my girls are getting on great.

Now I read loads and loads of stuff about the girls before they came, but someone just told me that I am not allowed to keep chickens in a residential back garden.  I am pretty sure I am. I am certain that the rule is that you are allowed to keep hens in your backyard in a residential area as long as the house deeds don't say anything to the contrary

Please can someone just clarify for me what the deal is.  I would hate to part with my girls now..We are very fond of each other.

Thanks very much

muntjac

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 14:45 »
the rules are if its a private house you can keep birds or pets .if the deeds have a stipulation of no chickens then you cant .if you own the house you can do what the hell you like with it subject to planning laws and chicken coops dont come under planning laws as they dont count as fixed buildings ...if you rent then you need to clear it with the landlord .some councils try throwing thier wieght around with this .. tell em to take ya to court n then say the chickens are pets and come under the same rules and laws as aviary birds , n then tell them ........ * off and whoever told you different :wink: if they want to spend money taking ya to court let them .... they have to prove that the birds are not pets  :wink:
still alive /............

Lilac

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 15:06 »
Hi Muntjac

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Just as I thought really. We own our house so thankfully there is no landlord to please either. I think this woman was just trying to be clever..It is quite amusing really as I have my own business (a pet shop) and she had come in to ask for a job!!! And for whatever reason we realised that we live near each other, and she asked if I was the one who owns chickens, and that did I know I can't keep them in a residential area...suffice to say, she won't be getting a job :roll:

muntjac

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 15:10 »
she needs putting right as well tho .id check with the council rules they have in power on the qt the library may be able to help ,or cab .there is a town think its milton keynes the council rule the dam place i reckon it would only take a test case  n they would come unstuck :wink:

Lilac

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 15:12 »
Yes, thanks, I will double check on that one. Cheers

muntjac

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 15:19 »
what town ya in lilac?

lucyeff

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 16:54 »
Hi Lilac!

I hope that you manage to put your mind at rest with about this. One of our neighbours is a bit of a loose cannon (crackers, in fact) and we didn't want to tell him we were getting chickens, so I contacted the local council by email and they said no problem, apart from if you're wanting a cockerel with the noise, etc, to check with the neighbours then. They sent me an attachment with info on hygiene, etc, and that was it.

Sounds like this lady was trying to be smart, as you say. Not the best way to win friends and influence people!  :roll:

Welcome to the forum btw, I'm a newbie but get on here a bit at the mo as baby will only sleep on my arm, and I get backache on the settee  :lol: As you will probably see from my ramblings  :oops:

Lucy

Fat Hen

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 21:19 »
I work on the principle that keeping chickens is different from having a few chickens as pets.  I'm sure I read somewhere (though it might be an alcohol derived delusion) that chicken keeping means keeping 50 or more birds.

I have five, they all have names, my daughters love em, and they come in house.  So I reckon they're pets just as much as a dog or a rabbit.

That's my way of thinking anyway.

muntjac

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 21:32 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"
I work on the principle that keeping chickens is different from having a few chickens as pets.  I'm sure I read somewhere (though it might be an alcohol derived delusion) that chicken keeping means keeping 50 or more birds.

I have five, they all have names, my daughters love em, and they come in house.  So I reckon they're pets just as much as a dog or a rabbit.

That's my way of thinking anyway.

this applies to defra registration not the keeping of any number of birds  :wink:  :wink:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Keeping Chickens
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 21:36 »
Hi Lilac,  welcome to the forum  :D

One question for chook keepers in general;  do they not poop all round the house?  Mine like to go into my shed on the lottie and just go where they please!  Lots of hankies on standby and poop in the composter!

muntjac

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 21:38 »
erm .. bit of chicken wire 3 ft tall ina wooden frame with a pair drop hinges werks on keeping em out ,when ya finished on the lotty just pull the gate up and it pops off n u can shove it in the shed  :wink:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Keeping Chickens
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 21:44 »
it's not that I mind; it's quite sweet to see them investigating the people places!  :lol:   I just wondered if they pooped in peoples houses and folks just clean up after them or if they could be trained to go outside!  :?   :wink:

muntjac

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 21:55 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
it's not that I mind; it's quite sweet to see them investigating the people places!  :lol:   I just wondered if they pooped in peoples houses and folks just clean up after them or if they could be trained to go outside!  :?   :wink:

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll: :lol:  :lol:

Lilac

Keeping Chickens
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 21:58 »
Hi again everyone, and thanks for your help. I do feel a little more assured now from your posts..and muntjacs help (thanks for that :wink: ) I was pretty sure I knew the form for keeping chickens before the girls arrived,but this lady just threw me with her statement.

Anyway my girls are Annie, who is a Black Rock, and Addie who is a Columbine.  I love them to bits and they are definately pets, that is why I got them..I don't care if they never lay eggs (though it would be nice) as they are just the best pets ever.  They sit on my knee and let me stroke them and Annie likes to jump on my shoulder.

SnooziSuzi my girls will wander into my kitchen when I have the back door open and I am there washing up or cooking or whatever..Occasionally, yes, they poop in the kitchen. Luckily it is wooden flooring and I just clean up after them.  I don't mind them coming into the house, but my hubby always shoos them out again :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Keeping Chickens
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 22:02 »
We went to see one of the ladies who had some of my old ex battery girls.  When we walked in she shoved this adorable jack russell puppy at me, moaning that it keeps pooing everywhere, and she only got it for her daughter, but when we were drinking our coffee, she was happily letting all the chickens in to roam around and didn't complain once about their poo!!!! lol

xx
Keeping chickens on tv

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 17, 2008, 09:55
by Selkie
xx
new to keeping chickens

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 11:26
by matilda duck
xx
Keeping chickens

Started by apples6903 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 17:39
by ManicMum
xx
keeping chickens

Started by tomtomgo44 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 10:10
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 38 queries.