Hamburg [root] parsley

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

Hamburg [root] parsley
« on: October 30, 2018, 17:57 »
has anyone been growing Hamburg [root] parsley apparently its like a parsnip so one assumes its grow like a parsnip I grew some once but it never done any good quite possible that I never grew it properly because I set it in a row possibly to thick

i understand it can be used for both a garnish and roasted like a parsnip and the roots are winter hardy so its possible you use the foliage like common parsley and use the roots as required

any info much appreciated before i give it another go next season  :unsure:

jaydig

Re: Hamburg [root] parsley
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 14:27 »
I tried it twice and failed miserably both times, so I'm afraid I can't help you with growing tips.  It's probably just me - I can't grow a decent swede either!

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 07:57 »
I've grown it just the same as a parsnip - you can get the seeds from the Real Seed Company and they include sowing instructions. The roots are smaller than parsnips but quite tasty, and the tops are a good substitute for parsley - although maybe not as strongly flavoured as flat leaf parsley. Tried salsify for the first time this year and I think I'll grow it again, despite it fanging. You boil the roots before peeling them - the skin peels off easily - and the taste is intriguing.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 09:17 »
thanks to you both for that info your not the only one who can't  grow decent swede jay but I'm going to give Hamburg another try next season dev I thought it mite be like sowing parsnip that I haven't quite got parsnip rite better luck next year A"

salsify yep that's another on my list to try what do you eat salsify with I assume its cooked as another veg ?anyway nothing ventured nothing gained  :D

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:37 »
The first time I ever had salsify was many years ago in Austria, where they tend to serve it in either a white or cheese sauce as a side dish.  There's also another very similar veg called black scorzonera, also known as black salsify, which is treated in the same way.  The taste is mild, so you could use it with lots of different things, but as I don't eat meat, I use it as a main dish.

xx
Hamburg Parsley

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 17:53
by realfood
xx
Hamburg parsley...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:17
by Growster...
xx
Hamburg Parsley

Started by silver8 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 08, 2006, 16:23
by silver8
xx
root parsley,frost?

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 09:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 38 queries.