Rising hair on back of neck - lump in throat Christmas carols...

• 11 Replies

Growster...

Many years ago - about 1962, a very young Growster was a member of his school choir, and they really took the carol concert seriously...

We started rehearsing the various carols from September onwards, and by December, we were word - and note, perfect, but this particular year, it didn't go to plan...

One of the pieces we sang was 'The Shepherds' Farewell', and every time I hear it, I'm reduced to a dribbling wreck, as it's such a beautiful song, and of course, the Kings' version is always going to be the best!

What happened was this...

Our choirmaster decided that we would sing each verse after the first couple of bars of organ accompaniment (which are so evocative by themselves anyway), and from then on, we'd sing each verse unaccompanied. He'd just play these two bars at the start of each verse, and then we'd be on our own.

But things went very wrong, and whether by natural causes, or some sort of choral gremlin's influence, at the end of each verse, we'd all dropped a semitone, and in one verse, a whole note, so when he played the intro chords for the next verse, we were well out!

It was rather sad really, as there was no reason why he couldn't have played 'sotto voce' behind all our efforts, but anyway, my Dad went and bought the complete Berlioz record on the strength of it all, so things weren't that bad were they...

Here it is, sung properly! (a very young Growster sang alto back then)!

https://youtu.be/e_pyk3wmHGw

Goosegirl

Re: Rising hair on back of neck - lump in throat Christmas carols...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 15:22 »
Oh that's so beautiful! I had an unfortunate incident whilst performing in our infant school Christmas play. For some reason I was dressed as a while rabbit in a costume my mum made out of white towelling. During the performance my hat with its big white ears suddenly decided to un-attach itself and I remember trying to hide underneath a table so I could put it back on. Cue muffled laughter  ???r from the audience!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:18 »
It's gorgeous isn't it Goosers!

Another one is 'Cantique de Noël', and preferably sung by children. Both Daughts were in their school choir when they sang this in a local church, and you could hear a pin drop - it was just lovely!

'Home Alone' has a lot to answer for...

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 13:27 »
As a devotee of Annie Lennox, I love her CD "A Christmas Cornucopia" and also Steeleye Span's version of Gaudete.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 18:04 »
Aw, Steeleye Span...

'All around my hat' was a successful request on some Kent Radio Prog a few years ago now! It's a long story, and one day I'll tell you how it happened! 'Gaudete' is gorgeous, and one of the first Latin words I ever learned!

I'll raise you 'Fantasia on Christmas Carols', by Vaughan Williams! It has to be played when the tree goes up a couple of days before Christmas!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 14:41 »
... and I'll meet you with Benjamin Brittan's Ceremony of Carols. I was in the school choir and we performed it at the opening of a new church in Morecambe. It's in Old English mixed with some Latin which we kind of sniggered at when our music teacher gave us the first reading, but then we really got into it and sung our little hearts out much to our teacher's joy! I remember the "Deo Gracias" which began "Adam was a-bounden, a-bounden in a bond. For (?????) winters he thought it not too long" and something about apples. It's amazing to think I still have those words in my mind and must get the CD. My most favourite carol is "In the Bleak Midwinter" because it just epitomises the kind of people who don't have much but want to give something to those more in need or as a special gift to someone they revere. "What can I give?"  As long as it's wrapped with love and thoughtfulness it doesn't really matter. Even those hand-knitted gloves, socks, or lavender bath cubes you used to get from your aged aunt should mean far more than something wanged off a shop shelf with the words "That'll do!" or a hideously expensive present that only gets used until a later version arrives, the local football team suddenly announce yet another new strip, or someone carelessly steps on it because it wasn't something that would coordinate with their new décor.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 16:12 »
Very good, Goosey - off to Youtube for a nostalgic canter thrpugh the staves...

Here's another one...In 'Dulci Jubilo' by Mike Oldfield! I just love the way he starts up his characteristic off-road lead guitar take after a minute or so!

https://youtu.be/VCvz7uflMIU

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 13:24 »
Talk about rising?? If I wasn't so benumbed doing mega-housework I'd have rung my dear friend (if she wasn't poorly at the moment) to come round so we could have a jolly jig together. We once visited a garden show and performed an impromptu dance when the brass band was playing. I made the steps up, she followed me (sort of) and we had a round of applause! There are so many evocative carols that just hit the heart but to me they depend on what mood you are in at the time. Ok, it's not a carol but I always have to watch The Snowman at Christmas and just love that theme music.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:00 »
I'd have applauded too! Several times actually...

By coincidence (?), the second 'Home Alone' flick also had a lovely snatch of music somewhere, possibly when the lad was walking by a church in the dark! I can't trace the music, but it is evocative, soft, and clearly meant for a sombre scene.

Anyway, back to the jig you did --- sigh---

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 14:04 »
Whilst on a work's training trip to Strasbourg (BTW, the firm paid for it and that's another story) I was passing by the cathedral and heard the most beautiful choral music but haven't a clue what it was or who wrote it. Anyway back to jigs. I'm currently playing Steeleye's "The Bride's Favourite" to which my dear friend Kate and I could do a totally unrehearsed jig that might have won Strictly! Back to carols, why don't we write some lyrics for a new one? May I start with:
"No tinselled boughs or baubles could ever shine
As bright as the eyes of the child of mine."
24852086_1950036411689555_459997197740617402_n[1].jpg

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 08:54 »
(after their bedtime...)

Their breathing soft, their dreams of toys,
The slumb'ring charms of girls and boys...

I reckon a tune will come later on today, so listen to this space!

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 17:04 »
The thing I miss these days (more than almost anything) are the 3 or 4 hundred junior school children singing Christmas carols with the staff in our main hall accompanied by my old mate Chris (our very talented music teacher). After 36 years Christmas seems very different without it....and their company.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Christmas Carols

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post December 24, 2020, 10:17
by Growing Weather
xx
Hair cut

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

23 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 06:56
by GraciesGran
xx
How's your hair cut going?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post May 06, 2020, 14:32
by Goosegirl
xx
so this is Christmas

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 25, 2023, 08:52
by greenjay

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 50 queries.