PALLET COLLAR RAISED BEDS

• 3 Replies

TREGRAHOW

PALLET COLLAR RAISED BEDS
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:45 »
I've seen plenty of comments on pallets for compost bins, shed bases etc... I've also spotted raised beds appear on a neighbouring plot and when I asked I was told they were called pallet collars. The most common are Euro sized 1200 x 800 and 200 deep. Damaged ones can be scrounged but I found a local yard selling used but undamaged ones for £4-95 plus VAT. I bought 6 for three beds and will buy more when I can afford them. A couple of hours spent giving them a few coats of safe treatment and they're ready to go.

snow white

Re: PALLET COLLAR RAISED BEDS
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:51 »
I was given some last year and they make great raised beds.  Not sure how long they will last as the wood is quite thin compared to my scaffold board ones that I made up.  We shall see.  The pallets I dismembered five years ago to edge my paths are just now rotting so if these can last five years then brilliant.  I didn't paint them though, so yours will probably last longer than that.

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:49 »
The treatment is recommended for rough cut timber so it won't penetrate these boards that well but, I'm hoping it will be better than doing nothing. Also, as my back gets creakier I can raise the beds to a more comfortable height. I think I might then regain some my previous love for allotment gardening.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 15:07 »
They will last several seasons.  Mine  were 50p each and are still going. I had two that that rotted so they became firewood

xx
Raised Beds

Started by calli on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2007, 23:42
by Freddie
xx
Cheap Raised Beds. Cheltenham area.

Started by Brummie on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 21:02
by joyfull
xx
Recycle a pallet

Started by seadart on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 18:08
by David.
xx
Pallet Virgin

Started by sweet nasturtium on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 19:21
by seadart

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 38 queries.