Alternative energy

• 12 Replies

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Alternative energy
« on: January 22, 2007, 22:10 »
Hello everyone.  Something I've been meaning to ask for a while; does anyone here use solar, wind or any other alternative energy sources at the allotment or at home?

I have several panels at home which power my shed.  Admittedly, not too good in the winter so I bought a wind turbine (air-x land).  With the recent winds I am annoyed at not having it rigged up yet.  The only thing stopping me is not having a suitable mast, and it's not for want of searching!  Seeing as I have not yet erected it at home, I have been toying with the idea of taking it down to my allotment, but the thought of 'losing' a lot of cash if it went missing sort of puts me off.  So for now, I have a cheap solar panel slow charging 6V batteries for my chicken coop and general lighting for the night work I put in there after the day job.

Sorry to drone on but I am really into alternative energy resouces and do not even heat my greenhouse to avoid burning carbon based/mineral fuels unecessarily.

muntjac

Alternative energy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 22:28 »
i run a wind powered battery charger from an alternator  n fan belt etc
still alive /............

jack russell

Alternative energy
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 23:15 »
hi munty and monty

any chance of a pic please i like the idea of the wind to power my shed lighting

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

muntjac

Alternative energy
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 23:22 »
all ya need is a fan from a moror car . the belt and pulley attached and then an alternator and voltage regulator from same car ,the wires from the voltage reg go to charge ya battery  :wink:

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Alternative energy
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:53 »
nice one muntjak, i built a similar thing for a mate when at college, we used a bike wheel with metal strips making blades attached to the spokes.

Ive got a home built 8w 12v panel that charges a lead acid battery to run my HF radio gear. At least it will when i get the power distribution set up
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

JayBee

Alternative energy
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 18:17 »
I have been experimenting with gasifying waste wood. My back doesn't like bucking and splitting large logs so the thought of running branches through a shredder and gasifying the chips appeals to me.

The gas can either be used for heating (space or water) and can (with filtering) be used in place of petrol in engines. That's why Americans call them gas engines, they originally ran on gas. Gasoline was just a marketing word to get people off producer gas and onto petrol. Nasty oil companies!

I've written about my experiments here.

Isprinsessan

Alternative energy
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 21:56 »
Hi muntjak just wondering how do you concentrate the wind enough to et the car fan moving.
Must have to do something to extend the fan blades surely  :?:
“Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.”
― Henry Ford

muntjac

Alternative energy
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 00:26 »
no its light enough to let a breeze blow it

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Alternative energy
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 21:22 »
Quote from: "jack russell"
hi munty and monty

any chance of a pic please i like the idea of the wind to power my shed lighting

cheers

jr

Will post one when I put my turbine on new mast when it arrives.  Probably going to end up with it down the allotment.

jack russell

Alternative energy
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 21:30 »
cheers monty

just got to convice munty now :D  :D

get yer pics out fella  :wink:
cheers

jr

muntjac

Alternative energy
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 21:38 »
wil sort it when i go to humberstone fitties  mate ,its on the bungalow there at the minute

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Alternative energy
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 09:38 »
Ave they still got chalets at Fitties? thought the new park development would have ended that, I spent most of my childhood holidays at me nannas 'van on south beach park

muntjac

Alternative energy
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 12:57 »
no they tried tha basasrds . but we held out at the end, fffkers tried refusing us acces through the camp  but we beat them ,they really are a bunch of scum i tell ya . they tried making the owners carry security passes ." we dont want strangers coming on here and molesting kids and robbing places ,,,,,,,,,,,," they invite fff hundreds there every year the assholes,,,, big bone immchewing with them folks

xx
Alternative energy 2

Started by Greengiant152 on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 10:21
by Alastair-I
xx
Energy saving tip

Started by sorrel on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 21:06
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
4 low energy lightbulbs

Started by kezlou on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 11:45
by Riala
xx
Low Energy Lighting

Started by amandaandherveg on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 22:31
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 40 queries.