Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

• 2 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?
« on: July 05, 2012, 22:16 »
I have run out of room and need to free up the brooder box for some new chicks which are hatching in the next 3 or 4 days. So I have divided the brooding area where the older chicks were to make way for the 3 week old chicks. Basically I am asking can I put the 10week olds next to the 3 week olds with a dividing board down the middle? (i.e. they cant get at each other) The main reason I ask is due to spread of infection etc?

Thanks for your advice :)

splash101

Re: Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 22:28 »
I've got some 10 week olds in a small coop inside a walk in run, been out there for about 4 weeks.
Im not sure what set up you have got but i would put the 3 week olds in the brooding area which would leave your brooder box empty ready for the hatchlings and then if possibly put the 10 week olds in a coop on their own (sorry if i'm being a bit dumb but i'm not sure what your brooder area is like)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Re: Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:59 »

Here is the brooder area, I just wanted to check its ok having them this close together. The big run and coop was delayed slightly due to mesh not arriving on time but should have it sorted in the next 2 days then the big chicks can go out there.

Does anyone know when I can put all the chicks together? Is it basically when they are big enough to fend for themselves. So for instance if I have 10 week olds, 3 week olds and some day olds (hatched yesterday). If I put the 10 week olds in the main coop/run at what age can the currently 3 week olds, join them?

Thanks

xx
young chicks

Started by legendjeff on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 11:28
by legendjeff
xx
Young Chicks

Started by D on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 22:18
by joyfull
xx
Can i mix young chicks?

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 09:36
by Jellyhead
xx
Young chicks

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 18:35
by woodside farm

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.