2 year old raised beds - need manure?

• 12 Replies

Carmen7878

« on: January 08, 2009, 21:05 »
I have raised beds (x 3) which have never been 'fed' since I initially filled them with organic compost from the garden centre. I think that after significantly poorer results this summer its time to give them some TLC.

I obviously need a quick fix so getting and rotting down manure for next year isn't the best of options for me.

I also seem to have a drainage problem and 2 of my beds, now that they are just sitting there over winter seem to be growing moss on top of the soil which I assume is a bad thing :(

Any advice on either issue would be much appreciated!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 21:35 »
Can you get hold of already rotted manure Carmen? Thatll definately help with the drainage issue, and is the very best thing you can do for your all round problem. Though, of course, if you are planning on growing carrots/snips then that wont help the crop.
You could dig in plenty of Blood,fish and bone and add some more organic compost, and you can also add some grit/sand to help with drainage, and digging in used growbag/container compost will help the structure too.

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

peterjf

HOT BEDS
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 23:16 »
ive had hot beds for 3 yrs , each bed is 16 inches deep , bottom layer horse manure 4 inches deep , 2nd sifted soil , 3rd layer horse manure,
final layer sifted soil , then 3-4 inches of dry straw , water the lot about 20 gallons and then cover for one week with plastic sheeting , take off the sheet and 20 gallons again , plant the next day , you will feel the heat from the straw , its worked for us for 3 yrs , good luck

pushrod

Re: 2 year old raised beds - need manure?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 23:36 »
Quote from: "Carmen7878"
I have raised beds (x 3) which have never been 'fed' since I initially filled them with organic compost from the garden centre. I think that after significantly poorer results this summer its time to give them some TLC.

I obviously need a quick fix so getting and rotting down manure for next year isn't the best of options for me.

I also seem to have a drainage problem and 2 of my beds, now that they are just sitting there over winter seem to be growing moss on top of the soil which I assume is a bad thing :(

Any advice on either issue would be much appreciated!

as already mentioned grit and / or sand for the drainage

A quick fix for the feed would be dig in some 6x manure available from many  garden centres

the other thing is it is probably worth raking in some growmore through the growing season just to stop nutrients being depleted too quickly
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: HOT BEDS
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:18 »
Quote from: "peterjf"
ive had hot beds for 3 yrs , each bed is 16 inches deep , bottom layer horse manure 4 inches deep , 2nd sifted soil , 3rd layer horse manure,
final layer sifted soil , then 3-4 inches of dry straw , water the lot about 20 gallons and then cover for one week with plastic sheeting , take off the sheet and 20 gallons again , plant the next day , you will feel the heat from the straw , its worked for us for 3 yrs , good luck

The hot beds topic is a different thread, Peter.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=28806
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

coatesi

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:13 »
Carmen
            The moss on top is a sign of 'sour' soil and if you add manure, a good dressing of lime and rough dig over, when the time comes for you to plant out it will be sweet. :thumright:
    We tend to keep adding compost and manure but without lime to break it down the nutrients are not fully released.
    My 2c (2p in your language) worth.
Coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55 »
Is the ground under your beds compacted. It might help to push a fork in and wriggle it to break it up in a similar fashion to spiking lawns.

noshed

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:40 »
Don't put on growmore or BF&B until about 2 weeks before you're going to sow/plant. It will just get washed out otherwise.
Apart from that, as everyone else advises, some form of compost, rotted manure is what you need. Pile it on roughly and fork it in in a month or so.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 22:43 »
Just to say that you shouldn't add manure and lime at the same time.  One is acidic, the other alkaline, and there's a chemical reaction between the two ... :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SG6

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 22:56 »
My veg bed didn't do too well so I dug in quantities of pelleted chicken manure at the end of last year. I didn't really have the ability to add much more depth so that seemed easier. :D

Will have to see how it goes. :?

Griffo

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 10:40 »
I have raised beds (3 years now) and I add rotted manure, compost, leaf mould, chicken pellets, BF&B - you name it! I work on a 4 year rotation basis.

My beds drain OK but we are plagued by moss here (various sorts). Surely, in view of the above, my soil can't be 'sour' can it??

Carmen7878

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 22:39 »
Thanks for all your replies, sorry for my slowness in responding!!

I have done a garden centre run today and purchased a large tub of BF&B, 10 small bags of JA Bowers grit sand and 4 x50 lt bags of New Horizon Soil  Improver for Veg Beds.

Will this help do you think??

noshed

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 16:22 »
Can't do any harm. I'd put the grit in now and leave the rest until just before you're planting.

xx
Horse manure and raised beds

Started by davidmw on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 13:37
by Ice
xx
Feeding Raised Beds after the first year

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 21:47
by yummy
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Shieldsy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 19:41
by swaine

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.