Poll

Who eats eggs after treating chooks with frontline?

yes and I survived
4 (80%)
no way
1 (20%)
yes and I felt sick
0 (0%)
Haven't used frontline
0 (0%)
I still have fleas
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

louse - how to treat

• 15 Replies

batcatz

louse - how to treat
« on: December 13, 2009, 17:41 »
Hi, I noticed one of my hens had some louse on her body.  I was checking her by parting feathers on her back and saw two running about in different areas.  One was clear, one was orangy yellow.  They were quick to hide so didn't get a great look at them.  I've had a quick search on the internet and it seems to be standard chicken louse.  

She's a young, very tame chicken not yet laying (hope its a hen) and shares a pen with another who I haven't yet checked.

I've given her and my others a liberal coating of diatom powder.   I tried to get as much under the feathers as possible, but I couldn't turn her upside down.  Will also check her vent for louse eggs tomorrow.

What's the best treatment?  Is it Barrier Louse powder?  Frontline?

Would a bath help?  She needs one anyway, but I haven't tried it due to the cold weather, although I could keep her inside the house for one night.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 18:13 by batcatz »

karlooben

Re: louse - how to treat
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 18:13 »
it sounds like she has lice , the louse powder  is ok but will probably only  keep them at bay ,i was told about frontline spray { although i used the drops} works wonders so give that a try  :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 21:01 »
Yes agree with Looby, sounds like lice. Dont bother with bathing, won't make any difference, and can be stressful for a bird.

Dusting with Diatom is a good idea, you need to make sure you get right down to the base of the feather, under the wings and pay particular attention to the vent area where you will probably see the eggs clustered like caked icing sugar. You will need to apply again in a weeks time. Diatom works slowly, so dont expect to see immediate results. You will need to reapply roughly every 5 days until they have gone.

Other options are Johnsons Lice spray, or Frontline Spray or drops, note that Frontline is not licensed for chooks but the effect is immediate and residual. I have found the Johnsons spray to be effective too.

Oh did you mean Barrier Louse Powder??? if you did, then I advise dont bother you will be wasting your money, just expensive talc for chooks.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 21:04 »
Hi, i have used frontline drops (the kitten strength) as foxy says, its not licenced for poultry, but they were new ex-batts, it was the weekend, and that was all i had. Worked a treat without any affects tho ;)

batcatz

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 23:07 »
Thanks, decided to use Frontline drops as I have some for the cats.
Phew.  Feel less worried now!  Its always seems scary when its the first time!

Brambles

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 23:29 »
Just out of interest... do you throw away the eggs when you use frontline?  Never used it, but would like to know for future... Thank you...

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 23:43 »
Where do you apply the frontline?

On the back of the neck?

Spider

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 06:25 »
Hi , i used  2-3 drops on the back of the neck...some people advise under the wing. NEVER put it under the wing!. I ate the eggs, and gave them to my kiddies without any adverse reaction. Dont sell the eggs because frontline is not registered for chucks!! :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 06:36 »
I got the frontline spray from my vet and had to sign for it as it's not registered. Just a little suirt on the back of the neck  :). Ate all my eggs also.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 06:43 »
a well known pet store that now sells frontline refused to sell it to me for chickens...but is always handy to have in for any ferrel kittens that may live at the bottom of your garden :)

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 09:00 »
A dedicated poultry vet sold me a frontline type treatment for my hens.  the advice was to not eat eggs for 7 days.
 It may or may not be the same as normal frontline but as the stuff I used WAS specifically for poultry and we were advised not to eat the eggs, then the stuff that ISN'T specifically for poultry I would be wary of.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 16:31 »
the johnsons spray was the other treatment i was trying to think of . i still ate my eggs and never had any probs  :tongue2: :tongue2: .
my girls have been clear ever since and that was must be 3 -4 months ago i done them but with them being on straw bedding at the mo is making me a touch paranoid but thats just me .

batcatz

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 19:25 »
Thanks, I frontlined my 4 chickens today.  I hope I did the right amount of drops, but it was difficult to tell!  Each frontline seems to hold about 4 drops.  I put less on the smaller hens.

I was planning to scramble up the eggs and feed them back to the chooks for 7 days.  Its a bit of a shame as 3 are laying and I love their eggs.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 22:47 »
i ate my eggs, and im fine :lol:

batcatz

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 13:49 »
Phew, all four hens are fine today after their frontline treatment yesterday.  :-)  I gave the hen a bath too which she enjoyed and she looks amazing now.  She really did need it.

Dizzylizzie,  I'm v tempted to eat the eggs.  They laid 3 beauties today.  Just not sure.  I might do a poll to see how many eat them.  :-)

xx
louse-y hen

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2007, 10:55
by muntjac
xx
red mite and louse powder

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 18:20
by bubs
question
Red Mite, Louse Powder, Wormer

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 21:27
by richyrich7
xx
Louse Powder in Dust Bath

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 18:43
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 44 queries.