Stock items for new chickens

• 13 Replies

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Stock items for new chickens
« on: November 01, 2009, 15:32 »
 :( I have read so much recently about medication for chickens that I am brain dead!

Can anyone help me with a good basic medication list of items to have before I get my birds?
I am still awfully confused about the worming treatments as well - some in water, some in food, some on bits of bread!!!!!! Could you please spell it out for me? I have the book by Charlotte Popescu - Hens in the garden, Eggs in the kitchen which is very helpful, but I feel that the more I read the more puzzled I get.  ???

grumpydad

Re: Stock items for new chickens
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 16:46 »
wound spray to heal cuts and pecking if it draws blood
gentian violet to cover and red, as chucks are atracted to the red, ie blood

acv is apple cider vinegar, for adding to water, raises the ph of the digestion and helps prevent worms.

stolkholm tar can be used to paint onto a chuck when feathers are being pecked, now available in a spray form.

diatom which is like a fine dust, helps to keep red mite down, as does, poultry shield.

louse powder to be sprinkled on the bedding and chucks if required.

life guard is a tonic to be added to water and poultry spice is added to food, both help chucks over stress, ie moving, moulting, and most other things

flubenvet is for worming, lots of stickies on the site about dosing

cleaning agents , stanoslan f is a dry powder to be sprinkled on the bedding, and virkon s is a liquid, both help to kill bacteria and help keep a coop clean. stanoslan can also be sprinkled on the run floor to help keep it "sweet"

i am sure others will be along with additions

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 17:13 »
Many thanks Grumpydad, I love it when people make things simple! :)
I already have some of the above and will make sure I get the rest.
Sue x

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 17:25 »
Everything grumpydad said :)
I also use poultry shield in the house to deter red mite and have some Johnson's lice spray or small animals to hand, kills any lice on contact so get rid quick, needs to be repeated a week later as doesn't kill eggs and need to egg withdraw.
Vaseline is supposed to be useful too.
Jo  

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 17:38 »
Thanks Jo, I'm so glad I asked - experience is the best teacher! ::)

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 17:53 »
So is this forum :)
Sometimes when things have gone wrong I think I might have given up if not for the help and support given here. Never have I felt stupid for asking questions, and now I can actually answer a few!! :unsure: I think 
Jo

grumpydad

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 18:01 »
asking questions is the only way to learn, never be afraid to ask what you consider to be a simple question, someone will always have the time and experience to answer, if i dont know what to do, i would always ask someone, the forum gives access to years of experience and lots of dedicated people who have certainly helped me

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 22:12 »
Thank you all so much, it is giving me more confidence and knowledge by the day using the forums ::)

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 06:31 »
without this forum i would not be where i am now ,although at times i still get baffled but thankfully there are some wonderful people on here that i can call on if i am really really stuck like when one of the girls is possibly egg bound { still confuses me that } . theres a lot of ppl that think keeping chickens is easy but its not as simple as it seems .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 11:29 »
I bought loads of stuff, just to be sure, when I got the girls in August.
Some I use all the time, other stuff, wouldn't bother again.

Poultry Shield to treat the coup, now and then, as often as 'drying weather' allows.

Diatom for bedding and every crevice in the coop.  Applied everytime I change bedding.
Louse powder to spring in nest boxes, everytime, I change nesting material.

Cleaning, I just use Jeyes when necessary, and make sure hygiene is attended to every day so there is no build up of nasties.

Poo pick the pen everyday, and turn the soil over regularly.  So have need to use anything there yet.  Some say to use lime, but I don't think that's a good idea.  Would change the pH, and instinct says that acidic soil is better? :unsure:

Have used apple cider vinegar, but probably won't buy it again. Not convinced.

Definately use garlic powder, add a teaspoon to water container (8 ltr) everytime its filled. Definately, without any shadow of doubt, does reduce smell of poo.  Have tried it without and without, and and a true believer. ::)

I've also had occasion to use a bit of wound power, purple spray, and featherite (stops pecking).  And Poultry spice when feathers are growing.

Only buy flubenvet when you are ready to use it.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 16:12 »
Thanks Flowerpower, interesting about the garlic. I find it so useful for so many things that I'm never without and use it alot in the garden to keep the slugs at bay! One of the reasons I bought the coop I have is that it is well made of heavy timber, but completely unslots when you want to give it a good clean - not a screw or nail in sight!
Sue x  ::)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 18:13 »
Sounds interesting - where is it from?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 19:39 »
It's called a doodlehouse and you can find them on ebay. They are a brother and sister who had many bad experiences themselves with chicken coops so they set out to design something functional. I went to their workshop to collect and was impressed by the work they have put into their designs and the thought from the birds point of view. May look a bit twee but I can live with that! The wood is 7/8 ply weatherboard (can't remember which) and increadibly heavy, it is also raised from the floor with 4 nest boxes. They are also the kind of people who are open to ideas.
Hope that helps beulah  ::)

dianer29

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 23:06 »
I live in Hawaii and our supplies at times are limited which can frustrate me at times. I am not sure how supplies are by you ,however if you use DE be sure you get food grade in case chickies injest.,which they can't help  as they peck constantly.Get come q tips  for applying ointments and such,put a big bottle of hand santizer for your use in touching the flock,,disposable gloves,electrolytes,Neosporin,Blue Kote,sponge gauze,corrid,vaseline ,sulfadimethoxine,vet rx,betadine,blood stop powder,eyedroppers,vet wrap . There is quite alot that is needed however not  daily . Keep a chart that you print out about chicken illnesses and a treat chart nearby ,especially  if more than one person tends or visits the chickens. I hope this helps and as I said I do not know your supply status scenerio.

xx
Veggie stock and chickens

Started by power_of_p3 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:32
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Items accumulated since having the girls

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 08:00
by Ma Lowe
xx
What type of chicken for a first timer and what essential items do we need?

Started by debih on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 16:41
by debih
xx
Re-Stock in Spring

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 20:28
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 38 queries.