baby chick

• 2 Replies

sange180

baby chick
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:30 »
my chick hatched last night its now 12 hours old but its not standing or walking just rolls around the box and has not opened its eyes is this normal as im new to this?? :unsure:

Casey76

Re: baby chick
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 12:36 »
Hi Sange, I'm afraid that is not normal :(

Did you leave him in the incubator for 24 hours to fluff up?

Pick him up and take a look at his feet and legs.  Does he have curled toes, or do his legs look far apart?

Curled feet and splay legs are one of the main reasons for not being able to stand up properly.

You said you have him in a box; what kind of box is it?  Chicks can find it difficult to balance at first, and if the bottom of the brooder is slippy, then it can make things worse.  Covering the bottom of the box with an old tea towel, or kitchen roll will help.

Not opening the eyes is more concerning.  I had a chick who didn't open her eyes for a couple of days, but she is not normal :(  She is a lot smaller than her siblings, and not feathering up as quickly.

Will the chick have any brothers and sisters?  Do you have a heat lamp to keep him warm?  This will be especially important if he wil be alone.

sange180

Re: baby chick
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 15:46 »
thanks for reply is in incubater on a towel it looks like club foot but dont know if chickens get that its all fluffed up so ready to go in brooder i have some 4 day old ones to which we brought

xx
First baby chick!

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 16:49
by Jellyhead
xx
Help with our first new baby chick

Started by tbjdiamonddog on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 07:31
by Chablis Dog
xx
baby chick

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 16:55
by slowef
xx
baby chick

Started by fruitcup on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 16:37
by joyfull

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 39 queries.