moving raspberry canes into pot?!?

• 7 Replies

ally

• Experienced Member
moving raspberry canes into pot?!?
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:00 »
I read in one of the threads that raspberries over time will move .... mine are moving up the garden towards my strawberries and now out of their cage onto my path!  i know they are searching for better light?!?! they only get sun in the morning.

So my plan .... now the leaves are falling off next years canes (already pruned this years fruiting canes) to dig all the canes up and plant them into pots .... one cane to one pot .... has anyone done this?  what are the pros and cons?!? with the exception of how many pots i will need :)

2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: moving raspberry canes into pot?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:09 »
I don't think they're moving for better light, it's just their way of spreading  ;)

This recent thread seems to answer your question
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=98543.msg1093447#msg1093447

Just be aware that any pieces of root that you leave in the ground, when you lift them, will grow into a new plant next year ;)

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:26 »
I thought they were moving cos of light cos they are now a foot away from where i first planted the parent?!  thanks for the link .... as ive given up this year so i'm having a re think on design, i might move them to the other side that gets afternoon sun, the soil is always acidic from a neighbouring plum tree ... so i struggle to grow anything on that side.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 13:43 »
Raspberries are unlikely to thrive in a pot, unless it's a really big one.  They don't like their roots constricted - as you've found!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 15:10 »
Hi Ally - It's called natural progression.. They just keep growing and sending out new shoots to continue to re-generate new growth..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 15:36 »
My friend grow's raspberries on a commercial scale and all his  plant's are in 10in pot's with automatic watering/feeding. Runner's are snipped off as soon as they show their head's. All plant's are replaced after 3 year's. He find's it cheaper to buy in new stock v propagating runner's. He doe's the same with his strawberrie's but he grow's them 6 to a standard size growbag.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 16:26 »
"Automatic feeding and watering system" - this allows for growing anything in pots.. but not suitable for home or plot growing as human nature will always lag or forget to feed and water correctly..

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 20:19 »
"Automatic feeding and watering system" - this allows for growing anything in pots.. but not suitable for home or plot growing as human nature will always lag or forget to feed and water correctly..
Planted up 8 growbags yesterday with 6 strawberry plant's in each . Inserted a dripper next to each plant and connected to a raised water butt via small bore irrigation pipe. In the spring i will put the necessary feed into the water butt. Simple's.

xx
moving raspberry canes

Started by lottiegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 17:18
by lottiegirl
xx
moving raspberry canes

Started by poppies on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 13:31
by poppies
xx
Moving Raspberry canes.

Started by sally10 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 18:33
by JayG
xx
Moving Raspberry canes now...!!!!!

Started by skatenchips on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 00:33
by Gandan57

Page created in 0.886 seconds with 40 queries.