brew buddy no airlock ???

• 8 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
brew buddy no airlock ???
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:57 »
Hi guy I'm new to this section I normally hang out around the chicken forums
anyhow I've got a youngs brew buddy beer kit
 I used to make beer about 10 years ago and always used an airlock and bung. Now the kit I've just got which I have no doubt is over priced gift grade rubbish has no air lock bung or hole in the fermenting bucket supplied even if there was.
Should I drill a hole and use an airlock and bung
or follow the instructions that say to just put the lid on ( I can't see how it won't blow off when it gets going )
or lift it a Little to let the co2 out everyday ?
Thanks in advance  :) 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

stompy

Re: brew buddy no airlock ???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:10 »
For my larger brews i use a black dustbin with the lid gafa taped on to seal around the edges.

I drilled a hole in the top with a hole saw and use a wine bung and trap.
The only problem is that once it gets going (if it's a rather active brew) it can bubble too fast for the bung to cope with and you have to top the trap up once a day until it's calmed a little.

I would use a bung deffinately as it also shows if the brew is fermenting.

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:22 »
I never use an airlock on beer, I just put the lid loosely on the top of the fermenter to stop anything from falling in.

Make sure you have somewhere reasonably cool to ferment though, the temps are just starting to get a bit too warm for Ale Yeast to ferment well, unless you have some form of temp control.

You really want to be aiming for a wort temp of around 18 centigrade.

The Youngs fermenting buckets are actually quite good as far as the plastic fermenting buckets go, they are nice and easy to clean.

It's easy to see if the brew is fermenting, there will be little bubbles rising to the surface, and after the first 24 hours you should have a Krausen formed.

My usual method is just to put the Wort and the yeast in the fermenter, stick it in a temp controlled room at 18 C for 2 weeks then test  it has fermented out using a sanitised hydrometer which I drop in the top of the bucket.

It then goes into cornelius kegs for a few weeks to condition then I drink it.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 13:13 »
thanks for the replies guys one more question
brewing sugar or just a bag of normal sugar? It says that brewing sugar is preferable and I have bought some but is there really much differance ?

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 13:18 »
Personally I don't think you will notice the difference between using Brewing sugar and normal sugar.

Some people use Beer Kit Enhancer, which I believe is a 50:50 mix of Sugar and Dried Malt Extract (DME), some people just use DME.

Using some DME instead of sugar will give the brew a bit more body, but how much to use is a bit down to personal preference.

For the first one I'd be inclined to go with just sugar, as you make more you can start adapting the kits.

I don't brew from kits so am not an expert, but I'm just passing on what I've read elsewhere.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 15:25 »
Well the brewing sugar cost me £2.09 for a kg I never used to use it but thought I'd give it a go. Can't do any harm hey ?
My intention is to have a brew ready for when my missus gives birth. ( for wetting the babys head )
She is due on the 14 June could I have started a bit early the kit says 21 days   ?
Surely a bot longer can only help?   

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 17:37 »
I think you have started about the right time.

I usually allow 2 weeks for fermentation plus a week condition per %

So a 4% beer will be 6 weeks prior to drinking.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 06:45 »
Well the brewing sugar cost me £2.09 for a kg I never used to use it but thought I'd give it a go. Can't do any harm hey ?
My intention is to have a brew ready for when my missus gives birth. ( for wetting the babys head )
She is due on the 14 June could I have started a bit early the kit says 21 days   ?
Surely a bot longer can only help?   
with regards the sugar i use spray dryed malt because it gives it a "more real" taste as for the time you will have something quite drinkable but it will get better the longer you leave it.

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 15:53 »
ive never used a airlock with beer, the "head" gives it all the protection it needs once fermentation has begun, never had on off beer yet (reached out to touch something wooden...)

and 4-6 weeks is about the minimum for a keg beer, bottles are faster, I usually have at least 3 beers on the go at once, one drinking, one maturing, one just kegged/fermenting.

I also have never used a brewing sugar, I have however had some good results varing the type of normal supermarket sugar used, ie brown, demerera etc.

xx
Wine in an airlock!

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

20 Replies
Last post February 19, 2016, 12:11
by Growster...
xx
Wine buddy...

Started by Growster... on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 16:50
by Growster...
xx
Wine Buddy Kits on Offer at Tesco.....

Started by maxibo on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 17:59
by Growster...
xx
2nd brew!

Started by crackedflowerpots on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 20:28
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 39 queries.