Introductions

• 7 Replies

Comfry_Kid

Introductions
« on: July 22, 2006, 13:51 »
Just joined  today, just finding my way around. Unable to load photos anyone help?

Oliver

Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 14:56 »
Quote from: "Comfry_Kid"
Unable to load photos anyone help?
Go to the 'forum index' (see above), choose 'Off Topic' and read the 'stickey' at the top entitled Photograph Albums. That may help. O
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Introductions
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 17:57 »
Hi Comfry_kid,

Good advice from Oliver and while you are there look at the Avatar entry it will give you advice on personalising your postings.

welcome to the Forum and web site.

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Comfry_Kid

Thanks lads
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 17:15 »
Cheers for the advise Oliver and rugbymad40 - the next time we get some rain or I am stuck in the house babysitting I will attempt to load some photos,  too busy on plot at the minute - its a shame that the weeds love the sun too.
It will make a change showing someone who is interested - I have bored everyone I know on the subject of gardening - really glad I stumbled on the site

kiowa

Introductions
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 19:35 »
:D hi comfrey-kid ,
 just popped in for a nosey at posts ,and to say hi to you ,and others too ...had to pick up all my carrots yesterday ....lost them all to carrot fly ,,Boo-hoo!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Introductions
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 20:46 »
Oh I'm sorry to hear that kiowa.  Did you see the Big Dig last Sunday week?  One of the ladies on there grows her carrots in one of those big blue tubs and they are lovely carrots, apparently the carrot fly can't get up as far as 30 inches high, then another lottie holder tried his in a big tub that was 30 inches high and he said its the first time in 30 years of growing that he's had a good supply of carrots!  I'm going to try that next season.  I haven't had carrot fly yet, but my carrots never seem to do well.

Mind you doesn't help when the cat digs them up to have a poo!!!!!

Oliver

Carrots being dug up!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 22:15 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
... the cat digs them up to have a...
Well yes, perhaps they do get dug up because when there are seeds the ground is nice to dig. So, once more the ubiquitious fleece. She puts wire hoops over the seed rows and covers the whole lot with fleece until the plants are well established (about 8" high).

She must make sure that the fleece is well weighted down through, because next door's cat thinks the fleecy tunnel is for her to sleep under!

But the barrel idea (30" off the ground) certainly sounds like a good idea. In fact, will try some now.  :D

milkman

Introductions
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 22:27 »
Hallo Kiowa, bad news on the carrots - to get a fly-free crop invest in some viromesh or try and get your hands on Jake's net curtains - it leaves the carrot fly foxed and burrowing carrots on someone else's plot.  See my pic currently on page 3 of allotment photos - original plot view 2 - the carrot cloche is on the left (this is covered with viromesh not Jake's nets  :wink: ).
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

xx
Introductions, cabin fever, golf, etc

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post February 11, 2007, 21:18
by ziggywigs

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 38 queries.