55 Vegetables in 4 square feet? Part1

• 43 Replies

cadalot

Re: 55 Vegetables in 4 square feet? Part1
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 05:56 »
How heavy do they get?

My friend has a balcony/roof terrace she wants to grow things on, but is not sure that the structure will take the kind of weight these might have.

You do not have to use a big barrel like I have. You could build one half that size or smaller if need be.

paul

Domestic loading is 1.5KN/m2 so with a little math if you know the plan area of the pot you can determine the maximum height using a density of soil moist say 1250Kg/m3 

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 07:16 »
I have a spare barrel handy and was wondering what to do with it, this could be it! Looking forward to the next instalment. Great stuff!

cadalot

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 07:18 »
I looked and looked and could not find a source for those kind of blue containers, if I could I would definitely have a bash

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 08:23 »
Search for plastic barrels on gumtree/ebay. There are loads. White or blue.  :)

bravemurphy

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 10:59 »
Its a great idea I did it a few years ago for strawberries but used a hole cutter, this looks great however mine only lasted 2 seasons as the dreaded weevils moved in.

When I realised and tipped it out there were hundreds of them in there so I let the chooks out and then there were none  :D

cadalot

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 12:12 »

True and quite reasonable until they slap the shipping cost on top, if there was somewhere local that you could pick them up then that would be a different matter.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 10:06 »
If you have any transport companies near you they will have them as they use them for a fuel additive (Adblu I think it's called), basically urea so safe to use once swilled out, and they are usually only too glad to get rid of them!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:21 by Elm street »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 10:39 »

True and quite reasonable until they slap the shipping cost on top, if there was somewhere local that you could pick them up then that would be a different matter.

There are some in Norwood and some in Dulwich on gumtree. http://www.gumtree.com/for-sale/south-west-london/plastic%2Bbarrels

tinyallotment

• Size isn't everything
    • Tiny Allotment
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 09:10 »
This part mainly covers the making and fitting of the compost tube and the completion of the grow pockets.
I started out by marking out the hole in the bottom of the barrel to accept the compost tube. I am going to try a completely different way of doing this. Normally people glue a fitting to the bottom end of the compost tube that takes a screw cap or some other way of closing off the compost tube. I didn’t want to buy any more materials than I needed to so expensive fittings were out of the question. After seeing how the blue plastic of the barrel behaves once it had been heated I decided to mark out and cut a hole that was about 15mm smaller than the radius of the pipe. I would then heat around the hole to make it soft enough to force the compost tube through the bottom of the barrel. This would also form a flange though which I could pop rivet the compost tube fixing it to the barrel. I wanted to cut the hole in the bottom of the barrel before finishing the grow pockets because I thought I may be able to access the lower pockets through the hole but it wasn’t really big enough. No harm done.

Here is the hole marked out

And then I cut the hole.

Next I went back to forming the grow pockets. This is a bit of a laborious job and the bottom two rows involves leaning into the barrel whilst heating the plastic with a blowtorch. This is not a pleasant job and in future I will use a heat gun to heat the plastic from the outside but I wanted to do this one using no electricity. I did a row of ten and then took a break to make the compost tube. I cut the tube to 1000mm. This is long enough so that the botom of the tube is flush with the bottom of the barrel and the top is about 100mm above the soil surface when the barrel is filled.
I marked a line 100mm from the top and another about 50mm from the bottom. In between these two lines I will drill holes to allow water to flush through the compost tube and let the worms travel between the compost and the soil.
This is the finished compost tube.

Here is a picture down through the pipe. Just because it looks funky.

Once I finished forming all the grow pockets I heated up the area around the hole to allow the compost tube to enter the barrel. This took ages and in the end I had to slit the hole all the way round to get the tube in. It still worked OK but it was not perfect. I didn’t get any pictures of me fitting the tube as there was a lot going on and I only have two hands.
Here is a picture of it fitted.

I then drilled through the tube and the flange inside the barrel and fixed the tube to the barrel with pop rivets.

Here is a picture of the barrel so far with all the grow pockets formed and the compost tube fitted.

The next job was to make some way of closing off the bottom of the compost tube that can easily be opened to remove the compost once it is done. Normally people have some sort of screw cap or compression bung. I don’t like either of these ideas for a couple of reasons including the cost and the fact that you will have to scrabble around under the barrel trying to screw the bung back into a filthy tube with gunged up threads etc.
I wanted to make something that was free and also easy to use and this is what I came up with.
I used the top of the barrel I cut off in part one to construct a sliding ‘Gate Valve’. It worked really well because the the top of the barrel had a kind of curved lip which formed the handle of the sliding part of the valve.
I cut strips of the lid material to form the sliders and riveted them to the bottom of the barrel
This is a picture of the valve closed

And this is it open

So that is it so far. I just need to fit the legs and fill the barrel with soil. Then I can start putting kitchen waste and worms into the composting tube and plant it up.
More soon
paul

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03 »
Very interesting Paul and thanks for posting, Just a couple of questions I presume you water through the holes just thinking does the soil at the bottom tend to be dryer than at the top. and are there any recommendations for the size of the internal pipe

Once again thanks for posting.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

tinyallotment

• Size isn't everything
    • Tiny Allotment
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 13:05 »
Hi Mark

You water the top of the barrel until water comes out of the drain hole in the bottom. When the water stops coming out of the drain you can pour it back into the top thus replacing any nutrients that may have washed through.

I am going to put a couple of inches of expanded clay pebbles in the bottom to aid drainage.

You should only have to water every week or so

Later I might fit some moisture sensors to let me know when it need watering

Paul

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 14:13 »
Thanks for the reply Paul.
Good idea about the moisture meter. I have used Tinytag data loggers buried in the soil and some pots to measure the soil temperature this year.
I think I will be using an old water butt for this project, and trying to use the existing tap as a drain, is this the first year you have grown in them.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 20:52 »
That is an amazing idea! :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 16:08 »
Thank you for Part II , Paul.

I have a question about the worms: do you collect brandlings from somewhere for this?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Headgardener22

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 16:51 »
What a fantastic idea. Dense planting with lots of variations possible.

xx
Anybody tried square foot gardening

Started by blue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 16:48
by Hopalong
xx
square foot gardening.

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 21:15
by digalotty
xx
Square foot garden

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 22:50
by Ann
xx
Square Foot Gardening

Started by Katieb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 11:23
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 39 queries.