Potato Bags

• 4 Replies

fatbelly

Potato Bags
« on: September 08, 2017, 17:25 »
Hi All.
Next season because of slug damage on my plot I intend to grow my manicrop spuds in potato bags.
Ive looked on the net but I'm confused as to what size bags I should grow I've seen bags that are 40 Litres which measure 14" x 18". Is this size big enough for 1 or 2 main crop seed spuds?
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

arh

Re: Potato Bags
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 12:17 »
Well, i have grown Desiree potatoes in bags for the first time, this year. Here are my results, the bags I used measured 23" wide by 32" long, folded in half length-wise, so as to produce a stronger bag, if you see what I mean, (tucked in as it were, or out actually), sold as "super strong rubble bags", (forgot how much they cost, but it was cheaper than the bags sold as "potato bags"), all I had to do was cut 4 holes in the bottom with a 1" hole cutter, (simple to do, just lay the bag on a plank and drill 2 holes at the bottom straight through, voila 4 holes), then I placed a piece of turf in the bottom, filled the resulting bag with a mixture of manure/compost and soil up to just over half way, about 12" I guess. I have just emptied the 2nd bag of 10 today, (ps, I put 2 seeds in each bag with 3 in a couple of them, I bought a bag from Wilco's), and obtained just under 7lb of potatoes, (whether this s good or bad I've no idea), but I just tip the bag onto a plastic sheet and sort out the potatoes, easy. Needless to say, I'll be doing it again next year, but this time, I'll put 1 seed potato in each bag and also put in some support for the haulmes, (as they flopped all over the place and I couldn't find the bag to water it, :lol:).
ps, next year I'll put cardboard in the bottom instead of turf.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:43 by arh »

Christine

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 17:23 »
That sounds a seriously good idea arh!

arh

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:35 »
Thank you Hun, arh.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 21:05 »
Hello Fatbelly,     I've using bags for the first time this year , yields not as good as hoped but will try again next year.

May I point you in the direction of a post by Lettice on these pages  - " Main crop in ground or bags?  It is now bags for me "  , I think you may find it useful.   Home grown potatoes are so much better than anything you get in the shops , my family love them!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
Potato Bags

Started by BJRD on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 18:32
by Kristen
xx
Ants in potato bags

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 18:21
by Yorkie
xx
Potato growing in bags

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2023, 08:15
by steven c
xx
Potato grow bags

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2021, 10:08
by tomboy

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 38 queries.