Straw on my veg patch

• 6 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Straw on my veg patch
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:58 »
Morning

For about the last 6 months I've been putting straw and chicken poo on to my veg patch but it doesn't seem to have rotted down, the straw that it.  What should I do with it?  Should I remove what I can or just leave it now?

Kind Regards

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Straw on my veg patch
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:14 »
Sounds like you needed to rot it down before you put it on your patch- is the chicken poo rooted down? If not it may be too strong to plant your seeds/seedlings in.

If its just the straw then give the patch a good dig, and when you plant seeds/seedlings, make sure you draw soil around them.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:52 »
You can leave it where it is and it won't do any harm. It will probably blow away of its own accord anyway.

You can use a straw mulch, but in windy conditions forget it  :D  Best rot it down on the compost heap or bin  :)

stompy

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:56 »
Just leave it where it is.
I used straw as a mulch, works great and at the end of the growing season either compost it or dig it in.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 16:26 »
I leave my straw mulch as well and by season's end it's almost rotted away. By next spring there's no trace. Great stuff.

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 18:23 »
we have 6 ducks all bedded on straw which is changed twice a week but I would only put it into a compost heap mixed with green stuff and ktchen compostables -- I would have doubts it could be used any other way. Too strong and too messy if straw blows about. Rots best in a heap and then you can use the compost to best advantage where you most need it.
R

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 19:47 »
I'll leave what is already on the veg patch and start putting it in the compost bin.  Thanks for advice.

xx
Straw use

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 20:55
by WG.
xx
Straw

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 20:40
by Dantheman
xx
The last straw

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 20:49
by Livinhope
xx
Straw

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 17:31
by Trillium

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 39 queries.