Wood not dry?

• 26 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Wood not dry?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 07:48 »
We had a load of apple a few years ago, and I kept a few pieces back, just to light them and waft them around the place, for several years after...

Gorgeous scent!

Cherry - another good'un. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 09:45 »

We have too much wood to store it all indoors and the tarp on the top has been shredded in the wind. So it's loose stacked outside and then moved undercover when the indoor store starts to empty. Before using we stack it by the stove so it's pretty dry when it goes onto the fire.

We have a sort of similar method of rotating the wood!  Wood Store (which does allow air flow) to shed to boiler house (which doesn't seem as warm this year with out new more efficient boiler!) to house... then to fire!!!

Hannah :)

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 18:16 »
We had a load of apple a few years ago, and I kept a few pieces back, just to light them and waft them around the place, for several years after...

Gorgeous scent!

Cherry - another good'un. :)

We were promised a load of free cherry a year and a half ago, Arugula...

Needless to say, some promises get broken, and we say awwww b....... it....

;0)

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 22:36 »
As a young lad I used to go to the woodland area and collect any fallen tree branches armed with a bow saw and a barrow . Not only did it give my grandparents fuel for the fire it also kept the woodland tidy.
Returning to the same woodland last year only to find it over grown with paths blocked with fallen trees and branches.
This type of wood was dry to start with the smaller branches would be great for starting of the fire then bigger logs added.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Starbee

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31 »
20% moisture is pretty common for wood dried outside. Bring it in the house for a while before burning it to make it "house dried".

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 16:07 »
After all this time, the cherry wood is being cut down on Monday and Tuesday, and what I clear away, I keep!

There are about five fully grown wild cherry trees to come down, about 40' high, so there'll be quite a lot of stacking to do! We bought one of those hand carts from Coopers of Stortford last week, and that'll do nicely!

(And we had another ton of shed off-cuts delivered today, and Mrs G and |I are somewhat nadgered now, as it has to go under cover straight away!

I presume it will take a year to dry out, and we're actually wondering if we'll run out of space, so yet another task is roofing in a bit of space round the side to take it all...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 19:21 »
If you split the logs before stacking undercover they'll dry out better. Supposed to be a lovely burning wood, cherry. I've seen gorgeous furniture made of cherry wood as well - outside my price range though!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Goldfinger

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 20:35 »

If the cherry burns like ours did, you'll have a tan in no time, and the neighbours will thank you for saving THEIR heating bills.  ;)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 22:14 »
Cherry burns lovely ! But as John said all wood is better for splitting green ,some because it is a B*****d to split when its dry notably elm and willow
I cook therefore I grow

The Silver Surfer

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 09:37 »
Mmmmmm fresh split Olive logs smell beautifully sweet, such a lovely smell.

We have a couple of wood stacks, one is inside one of our unreformed cave rooms the other is outside sitting on a couple of pallets with a tarp on top. It stays dry and yet well ventilated because of the pallets.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41 »
After all this time, the cherry wood is being cut down on Monday and Tuesday, and what I clear away, I keep!

Excellent, its worth having. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 13:16 »
When the local gardener/tree pruning man heard I wanted rid of a cherry tree, he offered to cut it down for nothing - cos he wanted the wood for his burner - and he should know which wood burns best  ;)

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 37 queries.