Killer Deer?

• 8 Replies

Agatha

Killer Deer?
« on: July 30, 2012, 13:00 »
A warning for any dog owners who live near deer.  I was walking Bonnie last week when a roe deer came charging toward us, headbutted the dog to the ground and then stamping on her.  Every time Bonnie tried to run, the deer headed her off & repeated the attack.  When she finally managed to get away & run for home, the deer turned on me.  They are normally fine with us walking through the fields & the deer had a baby a couple of months ago & wasn't that aggressive then, so all we can think is that another dog must have attacked her & made her really stressed so that she went for the next dog she saw.  I now take a stout walking stick with me every time I go out in the fields - beating off a mad deer with your bare hands is not funny.  Fortunately Bonnie wasn't seriously injured, just battered and bruised and a bit stiff for a few days, but she could so easily have ended up dead or with broken limbs/internal injuries.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Killer Deer?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 13:34 »
That sounds scary and your explanation seems likely. Its a shame not all dog owners are responsible when walking them or in ensuring they know where they are and what they are doing.

Glad you and Bonnie are OK. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 17:56 »
after having done some work experience at a park in Nottingham I asked about deer attacking dogs and it can happen very frequently when they are guarding their young and also in the rutting season. It is for this reason that dogs should always be kept on a normal lead (not an extended type of lead - unless it is locked off in the short position) and also to keep quite a distance away from them. Any dog found worrying the deer was liable to be shot in order to protect the parks livestock.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 23:30 »
Maybe it had just seen the youtube clip of Fenton chasing all those deer and it was just a case of mistaken identity?
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:36 »
That is awful Agatha and must have been really traumatic.  Glad Bonnie is not too badly hurt.  I wonder if a dog had attacked and killed her fawn.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Dopey113

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 13:52 »
Fenton !!!!!!!!!!

:D

bmpONxJ7JSw
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 21:01 »
In all the sheep in Wales and Scotland  we came across one with Ollie when he was alive that turned on him -  but it did have a lamb.  It was quite funny at the time, as they actually did not come into physcial  contact but  I have never seen a sheep stamping  and being aggressive before.  Ollie was ever so startled not to see it run away.  Its when you are not expecting something that can be quite shocking as well.  Thanks for the warning!
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Thrift

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:24 »
Thank goodness you and poor Bonnie survived that attack relatively unscathed Agatha.

We also consider deer such timid, flighty animals as indeed they usually are. Bessie sends a big kiss to you both.  :D

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 13:18 »
The 'killer deer' vanished for a few days, but has reappeared & seems a lot calmer...though I still take my stick everywhere!  The youngster is fine & obviously pretty independent now as I've seen it around without 'mum'.  I'm glad the adult seems to be getting back to normal as one of the local farmers was talking about shooting it if it happened again.  (Tney are regarded more as pests than livestock as they don't belong to the farm & do a lot of damage to crops)  Joyfull, you're quite right that dogs should be kept on leads near livestock, but this wouldn't have saved Bonnie as she was right next to me when it happened.  If you or your dog are attacked by livestock, it's usually recommended that you then let the dog off-lead as it is more likely to escape on it's own & draw the attacking animals away from you so that you can escape too.  But in this case, it didn't work!

xx
Killer Cat

Started by MoreWhisky on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 08:12
by kzaba
xx
which weed killer

Started by binner on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 18:04
by binner

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 34 queries.