shredders

• 10 Replies

sootyfaestoney

shredders
« on: May 03, 2012, 19:36 »
Hi guys n gals
Does anybody know of a good hardy cheapish shredder, that can do the twiggy thing but also do the soft stuff thing.
All the shredders I know of do hard stuff really well for a decent mulch but I would like one that can do the soft leafy stuff with not to much hassles.
It would be used for sprout stems and stuff like that but also to shred the cubbage leaves etc. so any pointers woud be mucho appreciated.
cheers

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: shredders
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 20:14 »
You can chop quite a lot of stuff up with a lawnmower, if you have one handy. ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sootyfaestoney

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 22:28 »
aye but no lawn to lay it out on, and that is a faff. rather wait the extra and use time more productively
cheers

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:29 »
aye but no lawn to lay it out on, and that is a faff. rather wait the extra and use time more productively
cheers
One can use hardder surfaces to lay/pile the cuttings on so long as its not gravel.I havn't seen one for a while but Masport  used to make a mower at one time that had a little shoot in the top of the deck into which hard cuttings could be shredded.
smud6ie

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 12:50 »
For the soft stuff, you can get a shredder that uses gears instead of a spinning blade. They're a lot quieter to use as well. :)

smud6ie

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 13:51 »
For the soft stuff, you can get a shredder that uses gears instead of a spinning blade. They're a lot quieter to use as well. :)
A friend of mine has a Bosch of the type you mention and is pretty impressive for the noise it makes,or doesn't as the case may be :)
smud6ie

mattwragg94

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 17:54 »
well i shred things for the compost bins - and i do it by shoving them in a bucket, then chopping it all up with the hedge cutter (not electric).

sootyfaestoney

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 19:59 »
thanks all, it seems that there is no certain shredder to do the biz, it seems to be a hit or a miss.

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 22:43 »
Your wish can not come true.
What use seek can not be made, less you accept heavier farm-tools.
These are my shredders; they do manage grass, rubarbs etc but soft material get stuck in the out-let less one also feeds twiggs and branches:
100_3165.JPG
100_3673.JPG
100_3106 croppad.JPG
Albert

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 21:58 »
Bosch have three newish shredder models on the market – one for soft materials, one for woody, and the AXT25TC – which is designed to cope with both hard and soft material (you do have to feed in the softer material).. Below is my film of it - I wanted to show how well it self feeds small branches because we also have a petrol Makita shredder that you have to push stuff through and it's horrible to use in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5QSQ1o0EjY
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 22:00 by superpete »

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 22:16 »
I agree with everyone. We used to have a big Tomahawk chipper and it was really meant for big branches. Anything under 2" thick just slipped through without being chipped. On a town lot you get only so many big branches and now we save most for either the woodburner or the rocket stove (outside).

My electric shredder cannot do anything above 2" as it's simply not strong enough, but it does a good job chopping up old grasses, twigs, dried veg plants, etc for the compost bins. But it won't do anything green as it jams up the works. I personally like this shredder as I don't have to fight to start it up, just plug it in.

xx
Shredders

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 23:00
by Aidy
xx
Garden shredders

Started by Aidy on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 09:39
by Aidy
xx
Garden Shredders

Started by Gleavo on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 14:27
by Goosegirl
xx
Petrol Generators and Shredders

Started by Axe Victim on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2013, 17:30
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 32 queries.