Stupid lapse in concentration!

• 13 Replies

Oliver

« on: August 26, 2006, 13:23 »
Inca tomatoes - very prolific and very heavy. The packet says no need to support them or sideshoot them. So she did not. However they have collapsed all over the ground and the snails are having a field day. So on Wednesday she decided to stake them and tie the trusses up off the ground. The last pole was a bit jagged, but it was all she had.

This worked very well. She was just going to get some green canetops for the bamboos when she looked back and saw a tomato just turning. She bent down to pick it and gouged a hole in the side of her nose on the jagged pole. She was very grateful the pole missed her eye!

She got scant sympathy from him - let that be a lesson to you he said ... Fortunately she only had to have a plaster on her nose for a couple of days. Interesting language. :?

Has anyone else done something crazy on the plot to injure themselves??
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:32 by Oliver »
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Jake

• Rockers
Re: Stupid lapse in concentration!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 17:04 »
Quote from: "Oliver"
Inca tomatoes - very prolific and very heavy. The packet says no need to support them or sideshoot them. So she did not. However they have collapsed all over the ground and the snails are having a field day. So n Wednesday she decided to stake them and tie the trusses up off the ground. The last pole was a bit jagged, but it was all she had.

This worked very well. She was just going to get some green canetops for the bamboos when she looked back and saw a tomato just turning. She bent down to pick it and gouged a hole in the side of her nose on the jagged pole. She was very grateful the pole missed her eye!

She got scant sympathy from him - let that be a lesson to you he said ... Fortunately she only had to have a plaster on her nose for a couple of days. Interesting language. :?

Has anyone else done something crazy on the plot to injure themselves??

Ouch I bet that hurt.

I didn't injure myself but when I was putting up my shelter I arrived one morning to make the roof slope.

I put down my tools and thought 'better tip the water off the roof first to avoid getting drenched.' Clever me.

I proceeded to tip about 5 gallons of rainwater all over my tools and tool bag. hrumph. I have some rusty things now.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 18:06 »
Val managed to give herself a black eye on a tomato cane, tht's my fault somehow.

Then there was the  episode when hoeing and I managed to hoe off the dwarf bean seedlings in one row.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 23:34 »
Put a screw driver up my nose, then fainted with the sight of blood.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 23:35 »
Quote from: "Caretaker"
Put a screw driver up my nose, then fainted with the sight of blood.

Pick with your finger like everyone else :)

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 07:36 »
I wedge the free internet cd's you can get from most supermarkets on top of my bamboo canes, helps stop me poking me bits. I'm sure the birds hate the way they glint too when you hang a few about. 8)

Annie

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 21:09 »
I`m not sure if this quite counts but we went on hols a few weeks ago and took small person on a steam train to an otter sanctuary and(here is where I did not spot big flashing lights) to a butterfly farm,a good time was had by all.
   So,aweek away,down to the brassicas to dispatch caterpillers....or so I thought,small looked at me with big tear filled eyes and told me all about poopee(you try keeping a straight face),etc.So killing is by stealth and an eagle eyed 3yr old is rescuing any cattypilly she finds,luckily persuading her thay they like the nettle patch before she put them safely under the nice net tunnel(caulis and purple sprouting!)

I use wine corks on canes,not that I have many of course.......

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 23:21 »
Aww I went to that butterfly farm and otter sanctuary earlier this year!  :D I'm a big kid... but still have no sympathy for caterpillars that eat my caulis.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

growmore

• http://www.braa.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 00:42 »
Actimel pots over every cane top - saves the face,eyes and hands. Not sure how to treat the screwdriver though!

wellingtons

Oh lord ...
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 16:59 »
... I've done a few ... I'm a tad accident prone anyway.  But here's my list ... the first one to laugh gets a virtual wallop!

I stood on the rake, yes I know, absolute cartoon character moment, caught me full on the forehead.  Jaysus but it hurt, I had to sit down on the compost heap for a while!  The bruise went a lovely greeny purple colour.

I fell out of the wheelbarrow ... I was trying to clambour out of my allotment when I locked myself in ... no real harm done.

I managed to tip my folding chair backwards and ended up wedged between the galvanised fence the chair and packing crate ... fortunately I wasn't on my own then or I might have been there for ages!

I got my hair caught in the bean netting (tied up in a topknot) ... took me about 10 minutes to get free ... :lol:

I got myself tangled up in the wheelbarrow when my other half was helping me empty it into the compost heap, and I ended up dangling face forward in the compost heap.

... want to share an allotment with me?  No?  I thought not!

stompy

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 16:26 »
I was given some old floorboards for extra beds. :D

There was anail sticking up, ten minuets later it was sticking in my foot. :cry:

shaun

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 20:39 »
got the tines of the rotorvator tangled in the teram that i planted my winter onions and garlic through.god what a job to cut and untangle it (i didnt swear honest) :)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Oliver

Cane on the nose
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 14:08 »
The hole on her nose has healed up, but her friend was chopping (and I use that word deliberately!) dowh the grass and stuff yesterday - with a nice sharp sickle. She tried to amputate her index finger and finished up in the JR in Oxford having 12 stitches. Shudder. Thats her out of action for a bit!

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 16:23 »
I fell in the brambles trying to climb on a wall to take a photo of my plot.... :oops:

xx
Stupid, stupid, stupid!!

Started by vet on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 23:34
by Dave Mack
xx
Have I done a stupid thing?

Started by si-mate on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 17:37
by compostqueen
xx
Stupid weather

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 15:32
by Lynne
xx
Probably a really stupid question, sorry!

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 14:08
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 35 queries.