Pruning Fruit Trees?

• 5 Replies

spud

• Experienced Member
Pruning Fruit Trees?
« on: August 26, 2006, 11:50 »
Hi All,

I have two apple trees that are in since last year, they are both about 6 - 7' tall, they both bore fruit this year, one has dropped its fruit and we have eaten them, the other is still holding on to all of its fruit, they look great!

I have been searching for clear instructions on how to prune these trees and haven't gotten the detail that I need as a beginner, perhaps someone on here can help, please?

I also have a redcurrant bush, a gooseberry bush, and a Plum tree, do I need to prune these too?

Thanks,  :)
Best Regards,

spud

Gwiz

Pruning Fruit Trees?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 07:07 »
there is a book called "pruning" written by the RHS that tells you in great detail how to prune just about everything. its about £13. i would love to give you the isbn number but try as I might I cant find my copy anywhere you could try "fruit" by Dr hessayon, nowhere near as detailed but it gives you the general idear. :D

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Pruning Fruit Trees?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 10:13 »
http://dep.state.ct.us/burnatr/wildlife/factshts/apples.htm # a few written guidelines for pruning apple trees. We had one tree last year with no fruit and I'm a beginner pruner too but this year we have lots of apples on it.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0605/plum_pruning.asp # Pruning plum trees

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0600/cane_bush.asp # soft fruit bush pruning.

What things exactly are you having a problem with? I have an easier time helping people when they're more specific. I really pruned back some of my apple trees last year and you feel really bad about it but it seems to have done them the world of good. Very obviously better cropping this year than last.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

spud

• Experienced Member
Pruning Fruit Trees?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 08:26 »
I knew you wouldn't let me down...thanks!
 :)

Shambayango

Re: Pruning Fruit Trees?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 08:46 »
there is a book called "pruning" written by the RHS that tells you in great detail how to prune just about everything. its about £13. i would love to give you the isbn number but try as I might I cant find my copy anywhere you could try "fruit" by Dr hessayon, nowhere near as detailed but it gives you the general idear. :D

Is this the book you mean?
IMG_3624.jpeg
Shamba yango means "my garden" in Kiswahili because I was born in Kenya and we always had a veg garden.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Pruning Fruit Trees?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 20:38 »
It's 17 years since the original post, so there's unlikely to be a reply to your post, Shambayango.

However, for others who may come across this thread afresh, I have a small book called "How to prune an apple tree - a guide for real people with imperfect trees" by Chloe Ward.

But now is not the right time to prune an apple. It should be done in the winter after the leaves have fallen.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 21:19 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Pruning fruit trees

Started by imarr17 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 19:36
by Yorkie
clip
Pruning fruit trees

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 23:50
by CHRISDONOHUE
clip
Pruning Fruit Trees

Started by Shambayango on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 20, 2023, 13:01
by Shambayango
clip
pruning fruit trees for a first timer

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2015, 19:01
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 32 queries.