Hillfooters diatom slurry

• 1 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Hillfooters diatom slurry
« on: July 29, 2011, 16:03 »
I don't weigh it out I simply start by putting some dilute disinfectant in a large yogurt pot leaving space to add the powder.  I use Vanodine V18 diluted to the surface disinfection rate.  Add a squeeze of washing up liquid for wetting (not too much, half a teaspoon is fine) then slowly add the Diatom powder mixing as you go to form a smooth thin batter consistancy which paints well.  Paint on the roosts and into corners where you get RM.  The Vanodine disinfects and isn't deactivated by dirt.

Poultry Shield is really a detergent which has disinfecting properties (as all detergents do in fact) so you can use it though it has no disinfecting action once dry.   In fact PS is an expensive way to clean your house.  Cheap washing up liquid diluted with a slurp of household disinfectant is equally good at much lower cost.  Better to use Vanodine though as it retains it's disinfecting properties when dry.  It's based on iodine and is the disinfectant of choice for pigeon lofts and poultry houses.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 19:15 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Hillfooters diatom slurry
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 14:42 »
I don't weigh it out I simply start by putting some dilute disinfectant in a large yogurt pot leaving space to add the powder.  I use Vanodine V18 diluted to the surface disinfection rate.  Add a squeeze of washing up liquid for wetting (not too much, half a teaspoon is fine) then slowly add the Diatom powder mixing as you go to form a smooth thin batter consistancy which paints well.  Paint on the roosts and into corners where you get RM.  The Vanodine disinfects and isn't deactivated by dirt.

Poultry Shield is really a detergent which has disinfecting properties (as all detergents do in fact) so you can use it though it has no disinfecting action once dry.   In fact PS is an expensive way to clean your house.  Cheap washing up liquid diluted with a slurp of household disinfectant is equally good at much lower cost.  Better to use Vanodine though as it retains it's disinfecting properties when dry.  It's based on iodine and is the disinfectant of choice for pigeon lofts and poultry houses.

The "recipe", along with the instructions above, is here..

Add the DE to a dilute disinfectant base (note powder to liquid, I use Vanodine V18 an iodine based disinfectant much iused in poiltry houses) with a dash of fairy liquid or other detergent so it wets well.  Mix to a thin batter and paint it on all the perches and into the corners. It still is very drying which is the main reason RM can't live in it.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=63080.msg723350#msg723350
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.