Watermelons and cucumbers

• 4 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
Watermelons and cucumbers
« on: May 17, 2011, 14:27 »
I think my watermelons and cucumbers are ready for potting on to their final container and am looking for advice.

I have two melon plants that are doing well and 4 cucumber plants (although I am intending on giving two cucumber plants to the school to grow in their polytunnel and keep the other two for myself).

I am intending on growing them in pots to make the best use of space in the polytunnel and would be most grateful on advice on the following -

1.     What size pots should I grow them in and should they each have their own, individual pot.
2.     Should the plants stand next to each other or should I keep them apart (disease??).
3.     How much space are they likely to take up.
4.     Do the cucumbers need to be stood on a bench or can I train them to grow up a trellis?
5      Any hints or tips or anything that I have forgotten.

This is the first year with a polytunnel so we are just sticking with the melons, cucumber and six tomato plants (they have gone into a raised bed down one side of the tunnel and the cucumbers and melons are going to go in pots where the potting table is currently stood - hence the use of pots as I don't want to run a raised bed down that side of the tunnel as I will need it each year for my seedling table).
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Watermelons and cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 19:36 »
I know nothing about growing watermelons  :unsure: but my cucumbers have tubs which are slightly bigger than tomato pots/flower buckets.  I cut the bottom off of the pots they are now growing in, and semi-sink pot into the tub.
Then when I water into the tub the stem of the cucumber stays dry, so shouldn't rot.
They stand on the border and climb up any odd piece of netting that I tie up to the g/house frame ;)

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:46 »
Thanks for that.  I know exactly what sort of size pot you mean and love the tip about keeping them in the pots that they are currently growing in.  I have some tubs that will be perfect.

I think I will treat the watermelons pretty much the same but put them in slightly bigger pots.

I think my dad has some old trellice that I will hunt out this weekend.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 19:16 »
1.     What size pots should I grow them in and should they each have their own, individual pot.

12" if possible, 9" as a compromise

2.     Should the plants stand next to each other or should I keep them apart (disease??).

They will be fine next to each other.  I reckon they need to be about 18" apart

3.     How much space are they likely to take up.

18" :) The Cucumbers will mostly grow up rather than sideways. They will be happy climbing up a string provided you can secure it strongly to the tunnel frame's roof. The plant will carry 3 or 4 cucumbers at a time, together with the plant it weighs quite a bit.

4.     Do the cucumbers need to be stood on a bench or can I train them to grow up a trellis?

Trellis is fine. I would stand them on the floor if you can - there is more "total growing height" starting from the floor, rather than from the bench

5      Any hints or tips or anything that I have forgotten.

Cucumbers are prone to Red Spider. Keep the humidity up. Shallow trays of water around the base of the plants helps, and misting them.

The one time I grew water melons I let them sprawl along the floor (like Winter Squash outside). Their fruits are heavy, difficult to support if grown "upwards"

It was a novelty experiment though, we decided we were not THAT fond of water,melon anyway, so not well-incentivised to grow them - then, or since, so my advice on Watermelons is only worth what you have paid for it !!!

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 13:59 »
Thanks for all that Kristen - very helpful.

I was not that bothered about growing watermelons - but our 8 year old was very excited about the idea so we thought we would give it a go!

xx
Watermelons fruit drop

Started by Hortic on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2023, 10:30
by Hortic
clip
Cucumbers!

Started by wendycas on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 18:19
by mumofstig
xx
cucumbers

Started by hawb81 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 21:54
by hawb81
xx
Greenhouse cucumbers

Started by Elm street on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 16:12
by gremlin

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 37 queries.