Seeds

• 2 Replies

pottyaboutgrowing

Seeds
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:01 »
Hi I started my lotty last year and had quite a good harvest. My problem seemed to be with when to start things off.. I was told by many growers that I had started things off too early . Yet I only followed the growing instructions.. So when is the best time to start seeds off. I am getting ansy about growing stuff and want to get started asp.. cheers btw all my toms got off to a cracking start then they all got blight and were no good. would like to get some this year along with the likes of peppers too.  :unsure:
Please make yourself at home! Clean my kitchen...    A  good balanced diet is a piece of cake! In each hand.:)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:21 »
It would be a bit of an understatement to say that starting things off too early is a frequent topic on this forum!

Three things make a difference: where you live (in your case quite northerly), whether you have the means to germinate and then speed up or slow down plants which need it, (windowsills, greenhouse, etc) and the third of course is luck with the weather. ( ::))

The usual advice is to follow the sowing instructions on the seed packet; if there is a wide range of recommended sowing times then go for something nearer the middle (it's been mentioned here very recently that parsnips are very reluctant to germinate outdoors in February and I would certainly agree with that.

Playing safe is your best plan to avoid disappointment.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Seeds
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:36 »
I'm going to lock this now, as potty has asked her question again on the too early thread, but I don't think it would make sense to merge the 2

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=71548.msg817490#msg817490
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:38 by mumofstig »

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
seeds

Started by ollieollie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 21:01
by solway cropper
clip
What seeds are these please?

Started by diospyros on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 28, 2014, 10:51
by MalcW
xx
F1 Seeds

Started by anti on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 22:41
by pushrod

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 39 queries.