bees

• 3 Replies

delboyal

bees
« on: March 05, 2006, 23:54 »
i have just aquired my first allotment and was asked by a friend of mine had i thought of keeping bees on it when i asked about no one was sure if you could keep them on an allotment one  bar room expert even said it was illegal to keep them in your garden at home anyone know if this is true please?
i hoe i hoe all along the rows i hoe

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
bees
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 07:56 »
Many allotment sites would welcome the pollinators. You are best checking with your site rep / council etc first, if only out of politeness.
I've never kept bees myself but perhaps a beekeeper could give some advice?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Rural Living

• http://www.conwy-valley.org.uk
bees
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 16:03 »
Hi. I have kept bees for a number of years, and I did keep them in the garden at one time. It is not illegal to keep bees in a garden, but just like on the allotment it is important to consider the neighbours.
I would suggest that the area you keep the hive in is fenced off so that children do not get too close.
On the side the hive entrance is on have a fence or hedge so that as the bees leave the hive they have to fly upwards so that your neighbour is not on their flight path.
It is also important that they are correctly managed, otherwise they will be swarming, and can become a nusaince to others.
I would suggest that you check out  the British Beekeepers Association website, where you will be able to make contact with your local beekeepers association. If you go to my website at
www.conwy-valley.org.uk there is a link to the site. Also a good book is
Guide to Bees and Honey by Ted Hooper. If you click the amazon link on this sites home page you can get further details. If I can be of any more help let me know. I get a really good veg crop with all the bees help with pollonation, so go for it if you can.

delboyal

bees
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 20:20 »
many thanks for the advice i have ordered some books from work and i am going to check out the sites the more i think about it im really thinking of it as the wife says i jump in with both feet but i will give it a whirl will keep you all posted
thanks again

smiley
Bees

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 10:16
by NewSteve
xx
bees

Started by gillybee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 22:08
by Trillium
xx
bees

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 11, 2007, 19:46
by muntjac
exclamation
BEES!!!

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 06:36
by kevinp

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 38 queries.