Poll

Are you happy with the multi-purpose compost you have bought and used this year?

No problems
14 (53.8%)
It's rubbish!
5 (19.2%)
Very inconsistent
7 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

How good is your multi-purpose compost?

• 22 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
How good is your multi-purpose compost?
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:54 »
Apart from grow-bags I really only use multi-purpose compost for starting off some seeds indoors and for filling a couple of troughs to grow peppers and chillies in, so a bag lasts a couple of years!

That has given me the opportunity of comparing the same brand and type of compost ("New Leaf") bought a couple of years apart.

One of the troughs was filled from the old bag of compost, the other from the new, and the difference is quite noticeable; the new compost has sunk by at least a quarter, and the same type of chillies I grew last year (on the same windowsill!) were weak and spindly and needed a big boost of 5-star liquid feed to get them going rather than the usual occasional dose of tomato feed.

Conclusion; the bag might look the same but the contents are not!  :wacko:

Please vote and also share your experiences to possibly help others choose wisely!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Re: How good is your multi-purpose compost?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:02 »
B&Q, i started off thinking it was good, but know realise that it was utter rubbish, nothing did as well asd the old wickes compost i had, so next year i will be using wickes  :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:07 »
When I gardened abroad the compost was a dutch brand and consistantly good quality.
On my return I bought Been & queued, not good quality :(
So, the next year, I thought that I would continue to get good quality by buying Leavington composts, low peat,which are not cheap............big mistake, as the bags were full of bits of wood, plastic, rope fibre etc.
Last year I also bought Wickes compost, which is peat based........this was a much better compost but did need feeding quite quickly.

I think the problems are due to the enforced reduction of peat content, which may be an admirable long term plan, but was introduced too quickly, before the suppliers have found a suitable alternative  :(

diggerjoe

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:28 »
Bought several sorts this year B&Q not good, had a bulk delivery of murphys and it was ok but the best was bought at the allotment shop - Arthur Bowers it was the best I've ever bought dark rich and no bits - only for the special plants of course  :D :D

noshed

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:03 »
We've had 2 lots of Tippland in our allotment shop - the second lot was rubbish and we've had to sell it off half price.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

boosh

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 12:07 »
Bought Wickes this year no problems with it, the Lidil's stuff was ok as a peat free but just for packing out pots and growing some beans in for the kids in the garden.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 13:22 »
I've used loads of Westland multi-purpose this year, cos my local Wyevale always has it on special to Gardening Club members, which makes it very good value. I've used it for seeds, potting on, containers, baskets and it's super compost.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 13:38 »
I've had Goodwins multi-purpose for the past two, if not three seasons. Quite happy with it and as we get it from OH's work, the price is good too. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

bigben

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 14:09 »
I have tended to use B&Q Multi purpose but have not really compared. If I am filling a deep pot I use my own garden compost out of my compost bins and then cover with an inch or so of bought stuff to suppress any surviving seeds in my own compost. By the time the plant is running out of goodness from the bought stuff it is hopefully rooting down into my own compost which should have some goodness in it.  This also saves me on buying so much from B&Q.

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 16:08 »
I use Westland with added John Innes multi purpose compost for everything " hanging baskets , starting seeds off and tomato plants in pots " it cost £10 for 3 x 60L bags  ;)

pvc

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 16:20 »
hi I used b and q owns brand this year(3 for £10 ) and I got great results, my local garden centre has special offer on compost with added john innes excuse my ignorance but can anyone tell me what whatit means

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 16:29 »
It's a vague term when it comes to adding it to MPC because there are several different formulations for John Inne's composts and they also don't tell you how much has been added!

Basically, it's got some soil added rather than just being composted organic material and some nutrients (and frankly I think that is the key to better MPC whatever the rest of it consists of.)

pvc

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 16:50 »
thanks at least I have a better idea now :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 17:02 »
I got better results with my toms this year, by using some soil/homemade compost mix in the bottom of the huge tubs I use, and just a couple of inches of multi purpose on the top.
it really did improve the yield ;)

hamstergbert

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 19:44 »
Used quite a bit of Murphys MPC last two years, mostly peat based and it is about right for the money.  Tried two bags of peat free and my considered opinion is that they were utterly, utterly awful.  All very well encouraging us to move away from peat based in the interests of conservation but if that is the alternative, fergit it!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Anyone found any good online deals for growbags/multi purpose compost?

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 19:12
by Yana
xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband
xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette
xx
Cheap multi purpose compost

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 16:49
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 40 queries.